colour in the engraving?

Metalworking questions in this section please

Moderator: Moderators

yadnom1973
Newly registered Member

colour in the engraving?

Post by yadnom1973 »

I often see products like these little key rings which are sheet metal with an engraved pattern and then there is something applied to leave colour in the engraving. The coloured pigment looks glossy and thick, it has a high saturation and brightness and it is also very resilient. I’ve seen glow in the dark pigment applied to engraving in the same way. What is this method of putting pigment into an engraving? Enamel or lacquer of some kind? It feels like a more resilient and permanent way of applying colour?
Attachments
example
example
KeyChain.JPG (23.29 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
Rorschach

Re: colour in the engraving?

Post by Rorschach »

Usually a thick layer of enamel or lacquer, sometimes coloured resin such as epoxy. Really high durability can be achieved by using something similar to powder coating where it is baked on.
yadnom1973
Newly registered Member

Post by yadnom1973 »

That's interesting. I'd presumed it was something heat cured or some such thing but I guess not, thanks for the input Rorschach.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Oh forgot to say, if it's mass produced the paint is likely a UV cure as that's much faster and easier than a heat cure.
yadnom1973
Newly registered Member

Post by yadnom1973 »

I’ve tried to research how to go about this and have found many accounts of people wiping nail polish and acrylic paint into the engravings but I find it hard to imagine this would have the same finish and be as hard wearing as the example above. Maybe I’m wrong, I hope so.

Has anyone tested out some solutions to this?
Hitch

Post by Hitch »

I restored a brass plaque a few months ago. I filled the engraved letters with a couple of coats of humbrol enamel, then let it dry for a couple of days before flattingand polishing the brass again.

It worked well, but not the most efficient method of doing it on a production scale.
[size=100][color=green][b]Why isn't the number 11 pronounced onety one? [/b][/color][/size]
jaeger

Post by jaeger »

I've tried various things to renovate tools like steel rulers, the best
so far is a solid paint marker like Edding 950, let it dry and then rub off
excess with card/stiff paper rather than a cloth which just seemed to remove it from
the engraving that I was trying to fill.
Some clock makers use shellac on dials and melt it in.
Somewhere on Youtube is the Starrett factory making rulers and
a man just wiping paint on then off and it's perfect! How he does
it I don't know, never works for me, but then my items are worn so the engraving might
not be deep enough.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

The type of paint is also significant. When we made some relief sand blasted signs many moons ago we were advised to use signwriter's enamels for the coloured background areas. Unlike ordinary paints these have an extremely high solids content and seem well able to adhere to glass, metals and timber. I believe that the brand was "One Shot" (American) and that they were bought from Wright's of Lymm (?) although Bollom & Keep (now no more, sadly) and Handover's in London also supplied them.
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933

Return to “Metalworking Forum”