Pond filtration?

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

Evostance
Newly registered Member

Pond filtration?

Post by Evostance »

I built a raised pond last year in my garden. It's a raised box with a waterfall in it basically.

I took the advice of some so called pond experts, and now I end up with a gunk pit every couple of months..

It's got a 4500lph pump with a 2 tiered strainer that goes up to the waterfall and out. Unfortunately it keeps getting a build up of algea and crap from the nearby greenery.

Can anyone make some suggestions on how to resolve this? If I put a pressured filter in, it'd have to sit below the level of the existing pump, so I don't think this pump would be suitable enough.Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
wine~o

Re: Pond filtration?

Post by wine~o »

Algae can be a major problem with ponds, I fitted an ultra violet light between the pump and filter a couple of years ago and it has been so much better.

https://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/18w- ... gLSufD_BwE

picked and random from a google search. (I bought mine from "the range" reduced to clear as water damaged ) :lol:
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

w1.jpg
w1.jpg (451.32 KiB) Viewed 2691 times
Could you expand on what "The problem" is?

I can see the water is not clear, but then it wouldn't be if you have "bits" from the surrounding area falling in.
As wine~O points out, a UV will make the water clear - sort of. What it actually does is cause the micro organisms (They, that turn the water green) to clump together, (it also kills germs) the bits that clump together are then trapped in a biological filter. The filter has to be cleaned on an as and when basis.

You also miss the point of a pressurised filter. The idea is that as its pressurised it can sit above, the same level or even below the water level of the pond, and it will work. Some you MUST install below water level in the ground so that the soil supports them and stops them from bursting.

Two questions.

1) What is this two tiered strainer

2) Is there ANYTHING living in your water feature?.

P.S. My spell checker is not working.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Evostance
Newly registered Member

Post by Evostance »

Sorry, forgot to list the actual issue.

So the 2 tier strainer is literally just a sieve. Nothing fancy other than plastic with 5mm holes in it.

It filters out all the leaves etc which is fine but they sit in the water and obviously just turn to sludge and algea. This algea then clings to the strainer and stops the pumps from pulling any water in.

Theres nothing living in there. We had contemplated putting some plants in there but it's not really big enough.

The pond is about half a meter deep and you can't see the bottom or the pump due to it being 'dirty'

Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Welcome to the world of fountains, water features and ponds :wink:

You say the leaves etc just sit there and eventually turn to sludge, (sorry to state the obvious) that is because you are not clearing them out often enough.
Pond owners often clear their filters out 2-3 times / week, some even more AND they have to rinse the sponges out.
If it helps, most commercial fountains have filters, its just that like yours they are hidden from view and you just do not see them being cleaned.

Short of removing all the vegetation you have above, there is not much you can do (Even putting a mesh over the receiving tank will be of no use since that too will need cleaning.)

I can however suggest a way to keep the water 100% clear in colour. This should only be done if there is NOTHING LIVING in the water

Below is a fountain in my garden. (I thought it may be handy, so I took this picture earlier)
tr1.jpg
tr1.jpg (226.86 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
As you see the water is "gin clear" and it must be a year old (the water) I do get the odd leaf blown in which is easy to grab and take out, you can easily the pump, nozzle and underwater light. But you can also see a "white dot" that white dot is a "chlorine tablet" from any online pool / spa company (You buy a packet / tub of them, not just one) it keeps the water crystal clear for a few months, then as it dissolves add another one. I add them to all my fountains.
Last edited by Someone-Else on Mon May 28, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

adonis

Post by adonis »

Something like this would be a good option,
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HZ3921B.html

you will have to hide it somehow as they are not pretty but should clear the water.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

adonis wrote:https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HZ3921B.html

you will have to hide it somehow as they are not pretty but should clear the water.
No, that is a biological filter, it is

1) Of no use since there is nothing (fish poop) to feed the "good bacteria"

2) Still needs cleaning

3) Does not clear water, it needs a UV or similar to do that

4) Not possible to easily hide

Evostance
Newly registered Member

Post by Evostance »

someone-else wrote:Welcome to the world of fountains, water features and ponds :wink:

You say the leaves etc just sit there and eventually turn to sludge, (sorry to state the obvious) that is because you are not clearing them out often enough.
Pond owners often clear their filters out 2-3 times / week, some even more AND they have to rinse the sponges out.
If it helps, most commercial fountains have filters, its just that like yours they are hidden from view and you just do not see them being cleaned.

Short of removing all the vegetation you have above, there is not much you can do (Even putting a mesh over the receiving tank will be of no use since that too will need cleaning.)

I can however suggest a way to keep the water 100% clear in colour. This should only be done if there is NOTHING LIVING in the water

Below is a fountain in my garden. (I thought it may be handy, so I took this picture earlier)
tr1.jpg
As you see the water is "gin clear" and it must be a year old (the water) I do get the odd leaf blown in which is easy to grab and take out, you can easily the pump, nozzle and underwater light. But you can also see a "white dot" that white dot is a "chlorine tablet" from any online pool / spa company (You buy a packet / tub of them, not just one) it keeps the water crystal clear for a few months, then as it dissolves add another one. I add them to all my fountains.
Thanks. I'll give the chlorine a go. I did try some pond clear solution but it's never worked. Will have to make sure the dog doesn't try and jump in our drink from it. No that he can reach though

As you can see, this is after about 3 weeks since cleaning and refilling. Can't even see the pump and it's only 20-30cm below the surface.

Are you also suggesting that a filtration system is pointless due to no aquatic life?Image

Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Evostance wrote:Are you also suggesting that a filtration system is pointless due to no aquatic life?
The filter mentioned earlier is as I said "A biological filter" its purpose (Short version) is to make the water safe for fish to live in.
You have nothing living (good idea really) in your water feature, so if you buy some chlorine tablets Click here clean everything out (again) fill with tap water and add ONE chlorine tablet, (Really just one) it will stay clear for months*, just like mine does (and the water in mine is around 12 months old)

* You will still have to remove any foreign objects before they decay.
These users thanked the author Someone-Else for the post:
Evostance
Rating: 7.14%

Evostance
Newly registered Member

Post by Evostance »

someone-else wrote:
Evostance wrote:Are you also suggesting that a filtration system is pointless due to no aquatic life?
The filter mentioned earlier is as I said "A biological filter" its purpose (Short version) is to make the water safe for fish to live in.
You have nothing living (good idea really) in your water feature, so if you buy some chlorine tablets Click here clean everything out (again) fill with tap water and add ONE chlorine tablet, (Really just one) it will stay clear for months*, just like mine does (and the water in mine is around 12 months old)

* You will still have to remove any foreign objects before they decay.
All cleaned out and chlorine tablet in. Let's see how it goes Image

Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

It will be fine, but do take a picture in a week or so.

(You still have to remove any large debris)
These users thanked the author Someone-Else for the post:
Evostance
Rating: 7.14%

Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

If all else fails treat the water with barley straw extract, A plant or 2 may do the trick
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Bob225 wrote:If all else fails treat the water with barley straw extract, A plant or 2 may do the trick
Sorry but that is not correct.

The water is green because of "plants" all be they micro plants (algae) they are still plants, and besides, which plants would you suggest?

Barley straw / barley straw extract is like snake oil, people buy it because they think it works. (It is a little bit more complicated than that but...........)

"Chlorine tablets" slowly dissolve, which means they last a long time, but chlorine is also a bleaching agent, it kills anything, algae, no contest.

Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

UHM.jpg
UHM.jpg (223.75 KiB) Viewed 2524 times
This is another fountain I have, it too has "chlorine tablets" (Look about 10'oclock of the light) the other stuff you see was green leaves, but being chlorine based it has bleached the colour out of them.

Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Evostance, how is your water feature looking? want to take a picture?

Here is mine, taken about 3 minutes ago
Attachments
uhm3.jpg
uhm3.jpg (186.47 KiB) Viewed 2415 times

Return to “General DIY forum”