Plasterboard line

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

Sparky70
Been thanked: 0

Plasterboard line

Post by Sparky70 »

Hi, I need some advice on what I can do to remove this plasterboard line prior to painting ?Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wes56

Re: Plasterboard line

Post by wes56 »

the two tones of paint show up the line.
it looks like where the boards met at a join but the join was not taped or there was a small difference in the two surfaces.
could it be that the lower wall is solid plaster on brick and the upper wall is a stud partition?
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Is it flat (i.e. all in the same plane) if you hold a straightedge vertically across the line?
One day it will all be firewood.
Sparky70

Post by Sparky70 »

wes56 wrote:the two tones of paint show up the line.
it looks like where the boards met at a join but the join was not taped or there was a small difference in the two surfaces.
could it be that the lower wall is solid plaster on brick and the upper wall is a stud partition?
It’s all plasterboard dot and dab.

Sparky70

Post by Sparky70 »

ayjay wrote:Is it flat (i.e. all in the same plane) if you hold a straightedge vertically across the line?
It’s not flat.

steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

This is a poor way of installing plasterboard in houses and it’s always going to crack as it’s joined along a timber that had a certain degree of movement and it’s also been done in one big joint.
Plasterboard should be staggered in a stair opening and joined well below or above the floor line of the first floor.
Dig out the filler,scrim joint and plaster or easifill.
This will always crack tho I’m afraid.
These users thanked the author steviejoiner74 for the post:
Sparky70
Rating: 7.14%
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Sparky70 wrote:
ayjay wrote:Is it flat (i.e. all in the same plane) if you hold a straightedge vertically across the line?
It’s not flat.
Yuk then. One option would be to do some heavy sanding to lose some of the joint. In the process the plasterboard my get damaged a bit ... then tape and quality filler over it[*]. What I mean is to lose the step but little you can do about the angle. Paint it with a matt paint so it reflects the light less (it seems to be matt anyway) and if you are worried about scuffs etc. then use a cleanable/scrubbable matt (acrylic) paint which has a bit more seen than matt.

--
[*] Toupret makes an ultra fine scrim tape which is supposed to be placed over a joint and be covered with just paint instead of filler. I found I still had to use filler over it but you will need much less filling than using a standard plasterboard jointing tape. Sorry http://www.toupret.co.uk website is down I can't check details.
These users thanked the author OchAye for the post:
Sparky70
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Sparky70 wrote:
It’s not flat.
That's always going to be a problem as the light is hitting it differently and showing it up.

It would only ever be a partial success, but removing about 600mm above and below the existing joint and replacing with fresh p/b in one piece (i.e. moving the joint) might be the best option.

Edit: I thought I'd posted this a half hour ago (had to stop and hoist wife onto commode - real fun!)....but I may as well stick it up as it's already written.
These users thanked the author ayjay for the post:
Sparky70
One day it will all be firewood.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

There is another approach, possibly. Make-up a wide skirting board with mouldings on both top and bottom edges and apply that to the wall over the joint. I've seen that done in old buildings to disguise a transition from plaster on brick to lath and plaster on studs, but I'm not sure how good it would look
These users thanked the author Job and Knock for the post:
Sparky70
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

Job and Knock wrote:There is another approach, possibly. Make-up a wide skirting board with mouldings on both top and bottom edges and apply that to the wall over the joint. I've seen that done in old buildings to disguise a transition from plaster on brick to lath and plaster on studs, but I'm not sure how good it would look
It’s still done in timber frame houses(large expensive ones anyway) where high class finishings throughout a home are used. A hardwood bead/plate is incorporated to cover the movement joint and can look ok if done correctly.
These users thanked the author steviejoiner74 for the post:
Job and Knock
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Now that is a surprise!
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Sparky70

Post by Sparky70 »

Ok, thank you for your replies, I will try to sand it first and repair, if thats not good enough will get it re- boarded and skimmed.

Return to “General DIY forum”