No more bunnings

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

Rorschach

No more bunnings

Post by Rorschach »

Guess I won't be getting a bunnings here after all :cb
Rather disappointing really.
Someone-Else

Re: No more bunnings

Post by Someone-Else »

Why disappointing? Its only a re-badged home-base
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
boxedin

Post by boxedin »

The Aussies really cocked up one of the biggest uk overseas buy out cock ups, behind HP and Autonomy
https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 4zhg4.html
Hilco will turn it around financially and stabilise sales and then sell it in whole or in part asap, not good for staff. They are planning to revert the recently converted Bunnings stores to the Homebase format.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

someone-else wrote:Why disappointing? Its only a re-badged home-base
The ones that were re-branded were selling way better stuff than homebase ever did at realistic prices too.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Shame, really. Bunnings were pricing more sharply and there was a major improvement in the quality and range of goods stocked. A return to Homebase as it was would be a retrograde step and might turn Homebase into another Focus (remember them?). Hopefully that won't be the case
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

It will go the way for focus, Do It All and Texas (homecare)

Its a tough market, margins are ultra tight
arco_iris

Post by arco_iris »

Bob225 wrote:It will go the way for focus, Do It All and Texas (homecare)

Its a tough market, margins are ultra tight
You forgot Payless.......

[Aside] I remember when Mr. Block & Mr. Quayle opened a hardware shop in a disused cinema in a suburb of Southampton, 1969. How things change in 50 years.

The building is now a Machine Mart and the B&Q is opposite on the other side of the road. B&Q's massive HQ at Chandlers Ford, Eastleigh, is only 3 or 4 miles away from where it all started. [/Aside]
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Bob225 wrote:It will go the way for focus, Do It All and Texas (homecare)
Wasn't Texas bought by Homebase? Didn't Focus start out as a managed buy-out of part of Do-It-All then buy out the rest?
arco_iris wrote:You forgot Payless.......
And their decidely 1970s mustard yellow and brown decor? Never! They were originally Marley Homecare (and oddly also started out in Southampton - must be something in the water round there). Eventualy merged with Do-It-All, I believe.

TBH I'm surprised that Wickes is still going - although for a while they were owned by Focus as well, before Travis-Perkins bought them

Looks like we are on track for a 2-warehouse market in the future - B&Poo and Wickes. What fe=gets me is that with the highish prices these places charge, why is it that so many of them have faiued to make a profit?
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Manc chippy

Post by Manc chippy »

It won't be Homebase either. It was brought out by a company that knows how to run businesses in the modern climate-against the web.

With b and q selling more and more unbranded stuff (most of these brands lila magnassun, hep2o, no nonsense, etc etc are just there own brand...trash from china) at outrageous prices, there is hope for the future of Homebase.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

It's hard to make a profit even with highly inflated prices because they are catering to small jobs. Anyone doing anything decent sized will go else where and of course with the almost universal access now to screwfix and toolstation they are missing out on a lot of sales.

Running those big shops is much more expensive than running a screwfix for example and timber yard will always beat them on price too.
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

timber wise our local independent is always busy as they are cheaper and much, much higher quality

Return to “General DIY forum”