plumbing, drainage and waste water questions here please

Moderator: Moderators

Lc1
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Shower and combi

Post by Lc1 »

Hi,
I have a question regarding combi boilers and showers. We had a new combi boiler installed around the end of last year. The shower used to run from a water tank in a cupboard upstairs which fed a pump and the temperature of the shower could be controlled from a dial on the front.

After the combi was installed the pump and tank were removed as the plumber said it could now come straight off the mains. The shower was then scalding hot. The plumber returned and fitted a pressure reducing valve in the loft. The shower then took around an hour to get up to a suitable temperature and this was after the water temperature was raised to the maximum(65’C)on the front of the boiler and once scalding adjusted to a lower setting (40’C)There was also no control from the shower front anymore as this just made the shower go ice cold.

Last week the shower stopped drawing hot water as the boiler wouldn’t come on when the shower was turned on. Another plumber came and had a look and said we have to rip out all the pipe work from the bathroom to the loft as this is the wrong type of shower( mixer shower) for a combi boiler.

Does anyone have a simpler solution to this problem?

Thanks
These users thanked the author Lc1 for the post:
instash28
Rating: 7.14%
Razor

Re: Shower and combi

Post by Razor »

65 degrees? Sounds familiar; what make is the boiler?

Is the cold supply to the shower also off the mains or is it still on the old cistern?
I think I'll take two chickens...
Lc1
Newly registered Member

Post by Lc1 »

Hi,
Boiler is an independent combi 30.
I’m not quite sure where the cold water is coming from but the second plumber did mention that the bathroom toilet may also need some work as the first plumbers must have made some adjustments.

In the cupboard where the original tank was the shower hoses are plumbed to the existing pipes, I assume one is the hot water from the boiler but I am not sure where the cold water comes from, mains or other.

Shower is a triton.

Thanks
gas4you

Post by gas4you »

Do you still have a tank in the loft full of water?

If so is there a pipe from it that is not capped off anywhere?
Dave

www.drlgas.co.uk
Lc1
Newly registered Member

Post by Lc1 »

Hi,
Yes there is a tank full of water in the loft. I believe it has black padding around it. Not sure if any pipes have been capped off I will have to check.

Thanks.
gas4you

Post by gas4you »

Sounds as if the cold may still be from the loft tank then.

If so this is completely wrong and would explain your combi problems.

All hot and colds must come from the cold mains supply on a combi.
Dave

www.drlgas.co.uk

Return to “Plumbing Forum”