Makita twin battery 36v machines

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

Kev888

Makita twin battery 36v machines

Post by Kev888 »

Some of Makita's machines use 2x 18v batteries at once, to make 36v. I've not got any experience of this method, are there any limitations or problems with it?

Thanks
Kev
arco_iris

Re: Makita twin battery 36v machines

Post by arco_iris »

In my personal and limited experience, no.

We have (i) a DLM431 Lawnmower which is great for the wife to cut two smallish areas that I can't get to with the ride-on. Two x 5Ah batteries easily last each session.

(ii) so impressed, I followed this with a DUC353 chainsaw, utilising the same two batteries. Brilliant, except cheap replacement chains are a false economy, OEM parts last far better.

Batteries recharge quickly enough for us, about a hour, though probably wouldn't suit a tradesperson unless he invested in three pairs - 6 x £65 each!
These users thanked the author arco_iris for the post:
Kev888
Rating: 7.14%
Kev888

Post by Kev888 »

Thanks, thats good to know. Seems quite flexible, to have batteries suitable for smaller tools and simply double them up for bigger ones.
Kev
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

I have the plunge saw (DSP600) and I've hired the 36 volt (2 x 18 volt with an adaptor) and there are only upsides AFAIK. Makita's tools seemingly all run on any mixture of appropriate batteries (i.e the batteries must be 3Ah or above) and will run with one part discharged battery and one fully charged one quite happily. You can also have different capacity batteries. So, for example, the tools I've used will run with any combination of 3, 4, 5 or 6Ah batteries. The only downsides to this are that the tools will protect themselves and the batteries, so if one battery discharges before the other one it will stop and warn you. One thing I'll say about the 2 x 18 volt kit is that it certainly seems to have a fair old bit of oomph (at leaast in comparison with 1 x 18 volters).
These users thanked the author Job and Knock for the post:
Kev888
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Kev888

Post by Kev888 »

Thanks, thats really good to hear. I'd thought there may be more restrictions than that, but it sounds even more flexible than I realised. Seems very viable indeed.

Thanks again
Kev
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Flexible enough for me to seriously consider a DLS110 (2 x 18 volt version of the LS1019) SCMS, It isn't perfect, but the fence is a great step-up from the LS1016/LS1018 saws, the double rild at the side of the saw are a real space-saver and the scales (mitre and bevel) are far more legible than all earlier models. At over £700 (bare), though, it may be a year or two before I pull the trigger.....

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Kev888

Post by Kev888 »

Thats quite a cost, but it does look to be a very capable tool, especially if you've a need to work without the cord.

My main interest at the moment is the wide range of Makita tools which will (sensibly) use the exact same battery, from modest drivers with one battery to twin-battery hedge cutters etc. Could suit me very well indeed.
Kev
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

just be aware you have battery and tool restrictions as in older tools and batteries need to be compatable j&k knows all about it :thumbright:
to do with stars any yellow i think :lol:
These users thanked the author big-all for the post:
Kev888
we are all ------------------still learning
Kev888

Post by Kev888 »

Thanks, I'd run across the makstar thing but hadn't fully realised the implication. :thumbright:

I'm unlikely to go for small batteries or old tools, but well worth keeping in mind just in case.
Kev
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Kev888 wrote:Thats quite a cost, but it does look to be a very capable tool, especially if you've a need to work without the cord.
It isn't just lack of power which is the issue - cordless means that I'm not dependent on sometimes flaky site electrics (and idiots who think it's OK to plug 10 tools into one 5kVA transformer running off a 13 Amp socket when you aren't looking) as well as neatly sidestepping PAT test issues (other than the chargers). More a site thing, I know.
big-all wrote:just be aware you have battery and tool restrictions as in older tools and batteries need to be compatable j&k knows all about it :thumbright:
to do with stars any yellow i think :lol:
Older isn't an issue - battery size is, TBH there can't be that many of the older 3 and 4 Amp batteries out there, can there? I say that because the Makstars started appearing 4 or so years back whilst the protection circuitry started appearing in tools back on "B" series days (for example my 7 year old BTD145 impact driver has it)

Return to “Tool Talk”