Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

phate06
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Painting over Polyfilla

Post by phate06 »

Hi All

So, I have filled in some holes in the wall (where TV bracket, pictures used to be etc.) with Polyfilla. But even through I have sanded it flush to the wall once dry and painted, you can still see it clearly underneath. The texture is different to and stands out like a sore thumb.

Any tips or suggestions to make it blend in with the surrounding painted walls?

Thanks in advance
Ktuludays

Re: Painting over Polyfilla

Post by Ktuludays »

You need to use a fine surface filler

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

refill it. knock it down with 120, then finish it with a 400 grit paper to get it smooth

parrot stuffing - like most things in life, it's not as good as it use to be
phate06
Newly registered Member

Post by phate06 »

Bob225 wrote:refill it. knock it down with 120, then finish it with a 400 grit paper to get it smooth
Thanks i'll try that
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Are you just painting only the filled area or the whole wall?

Guessing. The problem you got is your filled area is smoother than the wall because it is likely the rest of the wall has orange peel by the roller that was used previously; and if you are only painting the filled areas and the wall was painted a while ago you will get patches anyway because of the difference in colour.
phate06
Newly registered Member

Post by phate06 »

OchAye wrote:Are you just painting only the filled area or the whole wall?

Guessing. The problem you got is your filled area is smoother than the wall because it is likely the rest of the wall has orange peel by the roller that was used previously; and if you are only painting the filled areas and the wall was painted a while ago you will get patches anyway because of the difference in colour.

Hi Yes you are right. the whole wall will be repainted
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

phate06 wrote:Hi Yes you are right. the whole wall will be repainted
Ooops, bad manners :welcomeuhm:

So what is the problem you got? Is the filled are proud, too rough or too smooth (compared to the rest of the wall)?

I think it is the orange peel of the rest of the wall that gives you the problem correct me if I got it wrong.

Two things. (a) When you fill try to go wider than the hole you are actually filling and when dry be bit more heavy handed with the sanding at the edges of you filler. You will somewhat smoothen the orange peel and blend the filler into it. What you need to avoid the clean break where the filler stops and the orange peel starts.

(b) As an aside the first coat of paint should be a little emulsion diluted with some 20% water and brushed well over the filler but you feather the edges of the paint. when you come to paint the whole wall using your thicker paint you might have to add a bit more over the patches and roller a touch more as the paint dries out but use long strokes so you don't create an edge from placing and lifting the roller. You want to create a little orange peel over the patched areas. Aim for two full coats of paint. Don't put loads of paint on the wall hoping to get it done in one coat.

If you use any shiny paint (soft sheen or silk) you may have to use a mini roller sleeve (medium pile) before the full paint job and try to blend the patches to the rest of the texture and then paint the whole wall.

If it helps a little.

PS. I am only a DIYer, I am sure the professionals here have cleverer and faster tricks.
phate06
Newly registered Member

Post by phate06 »

OchAye wrote:
phate06 wrote:Hi Yes you are right. the whole wall will be repainted
So what is the problem you got? Is the filled are proud, too rough or too smooth (compared to the rest of the wall)?

I think it is the orange peel of the rest of the wall that gives you the problem correct me if I got it wrong.
Hi OchAye

Yes you are right it is because the filled area is smoother than the rest of the wall which has that orange peel effect you mention.

I will give your suggestion a go tomorrow and report back :huray:
These users thanked the author phate06 for the post:
OchAye
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”