Using Gripfill to fix coving

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

dewaltdisney

Using Gripfill to fix coving

Post by dewaltdisney »

Someone wrote recently on here (I cannot find it) that they use Gripfill to stick up plaster coving. I have a friend who intends to put up some coving onto Artex. I was saying that it was necessary to scrape back the Artex to use coving cement, however is this a must using Gripfill? Can it go straight on to the Artex assuming the peaks are removed?

Anyone can advise?

Thanks

DWD
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Re: Using Gripfill to fix coving

Post by Job and Knock »

You could use the non-solvent (white, in yellow tube) but I think it will be an expensive option and it may need temporary pinning overnight to get the best bond. Personally I'd go for a mixture of coving adhesive and drywall jointing compound and pin overnight whilst the adhesive sets
These users thanked the author Job and Knock for the post:
dewaltdisney
Rating: 7.14%
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

I think ordinary Gripfill skins up a bit too quick for something like coving, and I also feel the need to prime anything potentially dusty with some Gripfill smeared on with a skinny bit of stick, (doing it like this has never failed me, but I wouldn't want to do long lengths like coving, good for boxing around toilets where it's all short stuff though).

Or use the white stuff as J&K says, it's water based and deals with slighly dusty surfaces better, it's paintable too so you can fill the joints with it.

I think there are better gun adhesives than Gripfill for coving, Geocel,The Works is one, they would all benefit from some temporary support while the glue dries
These users thanked the author ayjay for the post:
dewaltdisney
One day it will all be firewood.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Gripfill is great stuff, but not for this job. As Ayjay said it will skin far too quickly. Better to use something designed for the job.
These users thanked the author Rorschach for the post:
dewaltdisney
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Okay, thanks for the information. On balance I think it would be best to stick to the traditional approach of scraping back a bit and using coving adhesive. I ill pass that on :thumbright:

Thanks all,

DWD

Return to “General DIY forum”