Neighbour uisng my land for his extension

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

yartin

Neighbour uisng my land for his extension

Post by yartin »

It's been over a year since my neighbour had unlimited access to my land to build his extension. All this time I had no side gate and blocked passage to my garden. There was risk for intruders. I was expecting all finished by this summer but he is too slow and still rendering, painting , gutters... etc not done. During this time, his builders damaged my sink drain pipe and couldn't use the sink for 2 weeks and they never told me, they broke the pipe and blocked it at the outside during that cold winter period and me thinking frozen water :lol:

Today, at my expense I put a new gate with padlock. I am thinking leaving a letter and asking for advance notice with contract if needs access plus daily fees, is this reasonable and what daily rates is acceptable for UB9 area?

BTW this neighbour moved in only 2 years ago and 2 other neighbours told me not happy with him.

Cheers
dewaltdisney

Re: Neighbour uisng my land for his extension

Post by dewaltdisney »

I suggest a letter along these lines:

Dear

I am writing to you to let you know I have now secured my back garden and access to my land will only be permitted by prior arrangement for set times. I have been more than generous in giving you free access to help you build your extension but this has taken far longer than I expected and I feel that I have been more than fair in my support. However, I am sure that you will appreciate I am entitled to my privacy and security and whilst I do not wish to be difficult, access will only be available at mutually agreed times to help you complete your building work.

Yours sincerely

I think this would cover the issues :thumbright:

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post (total 2):
yartincamallison
Rating: 14.29%
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

:withstupid:
Sounds an ideal letter to me.
Don't take too much notice of what neighbours say.
In my experience they say what they think people want to hear.
If anything is said to me about neighbours by other neighbours, I either say I get on with them OK if I do, or I keep my opinion to myself.
yartin

Post by yartin »

My neighbour contacted me today via text and said he wants to render and need access to my land on Fri an Sat, I asked what times so I open and lock my gate, the reply was "assume all day". I don't want to leave the gate open overnight and I told them this verbally two weeks.
Any advise?! Shall I ask my neighbour to apply for "Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992" through courts who set dates and times.... etc?

ps. there are more works to do inc gutters, carpentry, painting, windows ....
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

yartin wrote:My neighbour contacted me today via text and said he wants to render and need access to my land on Fri an Sat, I asked what times so I open and lock my gate, the reply was "assume all day". I don't want to leave the gate open overnight and I told them this verbally two weeks.
Any advise?! Shall I ask my neighbour to apply for "Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992" through courts who set dates and times.... etc?
I've never yet had a neighbour that I didn't get on with so am not speaking from experience, but why not just say you'll open the gate for normal working hours?

Maybe extended a little at the end of the day - say 8:00 am to 6:00 pm.
One day it will all be firewood.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

I'd try to avoid falling out with a neighbour if possible ( mind you I don't speak to the bell end that lives next to me but do as I say rather than...) . Perhaps a very simple answer would be to ask him to put a lock on the gate and for you both to have a key . That gives him access but should hopefully ally your security issues.
yartin

Post by yartin »

[/quote]

I've never yet had a neighbour that I didn't get on with so am not speaking from experience, but why not just say you'll open the gate for normal working hours?

Maybe extended a little at the end of the day - say 8:00 am to 6:00 pm.[/quote]

I asked them what times access are required and the reply was all day. I just sent them a text saying "not possible leaving gate open all day 48 hours". They have been inconsiderate.
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

yartin wrote: I asked them what times access are required and the reply was all day. I just sent them a text saying "not possible leaving gate open all day 48 hours".

I doubt that they mean 24 hours per day, if they do then that's unreasonable.

Are you sure you're not just looking for problems?

Just tell them what hours you're comfortable with, but bear in mind that the guys actually doing the work have a living to make.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Put a combination lock on the gate and give them the code. Say work can only be done between 8 am and 4 pm. When they are done change the combination.

DWD
yartin

Post by yartin »

They sent a text asking access between 8am and 4pm which I agreed.
yartin

Post by yartin »

ayjay wrote:
yartin wrote: I asked them what times access are required and the reply was all day. I just sent them a text saying "not possible leaving gate open all day 48 hours".

Hope you are OK.
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

yartin wrote:
ayjay wrote:

Hope you are OK.
Fine thanks, just waiting for the carer to come and give my wife her bedbath and then I can get on with my day, I might even find the time for a friendly chat with one of my neighbours.
yartin

Post by yartin »

ayjay wrote:
yartin wrote:
ayjay wrote:

Hope you are OK.
Fine thanks,
Excellent
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

ayjay wrote:

I doubt that they mean 24 hours per day, if they do then that's unreasonable.

Just tell them what hours you're comfortable with, but bear in mind that the guys actually doing the work have a living to make.
I got my sourdough to bake :lol:

Return to “General DIY forum”