Finish for exterior oak door

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

Pooneil

Finish for exterior oak door

Post by Pooneil »

Hi

Does anyone have a recommendation on what finish to use on an exterior oak door. I've looked at oils, clear woodstains, varnish... back to oils etc. etc. etc.

I'm after something clear to keep the oak as natural as possible. The door has been finished before, about 4 years ago, but is practically back to bare wood (with a light sanding). And ideally I'd like a product that applies itself while you sit in a deckchair with a cold beer...

When I heard they'd discovered a cure for dyslexia it was like music to my arse!
OchAye

Re: Finish for exterior oak door

Post by OchAye »

Not much of a clue me, but you would need exterior oil with UV protection or you will have grey oak ... look at https://www.osmouk.com/ And get someone to apply it twice a year (as many times as the wood absorbs it) whilst you have the beer(s).

Sorry, I am not recommending anything, just giving you a pointer.
fitzy
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Re: Finish for exterior oak door

Post by fitzy »

Must say I don't do a great deal of external work these days so I'm a bit out of touch but sikkens filter7 was always a favourite of mine. Whether or not they do a clear finish I dunno, but worth looking at.

Also, as per Ochayes reply, Osmo is held in high regard with a lot of decorator's.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”