Finally a must watch movie!!

This forum is for topics or posts that do not fit into any other forum, this includes online games such as word Association etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Razor

Finally a must watch movie!!

Post by Razor »

For one night only to commemorate the 75th anniversary of operation Chastise the original Dambusters film is being shown in most UK cinemas remastered in 4K and with a live hosting from the Albert Hall with Dan Snow and featuring family members etc of the crews involved.

This Thurs 17th May only don't miss out!!

I think I'll take two chickens...
dewaltdisney

Re: Finally a must watch movie!!

Post by dewaltdisney »

The original film had very poor special effects when the dam went. It looked almost hand painted on the film. I do not like the airbrushed history as Guy Gibson's dog was called N****r and this got edited out in recent years as it became a derogatory racist term but back then it had no more significance than a dog's name.

DWD
Razor

Post by Razor »

That's the main reason the remake never happened DWD.

They had permission to use Scampton and recreate the original base and everything form the RAF and built replica Lancs for it but Stephen Fry was doing the screenplay and changed the labs name to Digger and the RAF pulled the plug - rightly in my view

Let's not forget that was also the word that was transmitted back once the Mohne dam was breached. PC tw*ts strike again ::b ::b

Yes the original film was limited and not a patch on the Battle of Britain but the atmosphere should be amazing!
I think I'll take two chickens...
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

There is only one flying Lanc in the UK and that is in the Battle of Britain memorial flight there is another in Ontario I believe. The pictures in the trailer look very good quality remastered it should be worth seeing when it makes it to telly. I do not think I will pay £20 for us to go and see it at the cinema though.

It was more a publicity success than a strategic blow to the Germans as the electric grid was soon restored an the Ruhr was back in production fairly quickly. The thing that is also covered up is that half the dead were allied prisoners of war and forced workers. It takes the shine off what was done in reality which was still a good bit of ordnance innovation but very costly in aircraft and crews for the delivery systems and dramatic but giving largely less than expected effective results.

DWD
wobs
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by wobs »

They already did a remake :wink: ;) :
https://www.starwars.com/news/the-cinem ... am-busters

The list of similarities are interesting, but when you have some of the same film crew on both films, its kind of understandable.

Return to “The Lounge”