Potholes

This forum is for topics or posts that do not fit into any other forum, this includes online games such as word Association etc.

Moderator: Moderators

ayjay

Potholes

Post by ayjay »

Got any good ones nearby?

This is about the worst one near me, it started to develop back in February and then that whole corner of the road disappeared under water because of the blocked drain until about two weeks ago.

I've added a black line to try to delineate the edge of the tarmac, outside the black line was a grass verge, now just packed mud where it's been driven over to avoid the hole.

This whole road is quite short at about 1500m from end to end but it is always full of potholes, most winters there's at least half a dozen that have to be avoided, (not easy as it's so narrow) the holes get patched but never last long. It's a short cut for me that saves a mile and a half about twenty times a week.
pothole1 modified.jpg
pothole1 modified.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 2603 times
pothole2 modified.jpg
pothole2 modified.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 2603 times
pothole3 modified.jpg
pothole3 modified.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 2603 times
One day it will all be firewood.
kellys_eye

Re: Potholes

Post by kellys_eye »

We're in the middle of having the local road resurfaced - council funds permitting of course - and it's not a moment too soon. I've just finished fitting £800 worth of new suspension parts as a result of the road conditions and MoT failure :angryfire: I've got a Jeep Grand Cherokee and the roads have fcukd it! Pity the poor locals that use less robust vehicles!
Don't take it personally......
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

I've got a Jeep Grand Cherokee
There's your problem, its even worse if its the 4.0L

There some lethal ones around here and newly resurfaced road with a large manhole 3" lower than the road - a skip lorry hit it doing 30 and took out 4 cars and 2 garden walls

I hit a pot hole and scrubbed a new tire in 2 weeks, luckily I only had to get the tracking done it could of been a lot worse, I had a friend that managed to bend a subframe that was £3k worth of damage the council had to pay on a year old car

we do get gorilla road and path fixers that may throw a bag of road stone or macadam in a hole
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

@ Ayjay, do you know if the pothole has been reported ? Here in Dorset you can report on-line and depending on the weather the pothole will be repaired within a working week if minor and fairly quickly if major...

Link to the Hampshire reporty bit...

https://roadenquiries.hants.gov.uk/road ... thole.aspx

If you drop down to the map you can see where there are "live" reports.
These users thanked the author wine~o for the post:
ayjay
Rating: 7.14%
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

wine~o wrote:@ Ayjay, do you know if the pothole has been reported ? Here in Dorset you can report on-line and depending on the weather the pothole will be repaired within a working week if minor and fairly quickly if major...
I've already reported it on a different pothole website. I've reported several on there, some get fixed, some don't.

Looking on the Hants.gov website it's been reported on there too, with a status change on the 19th April. I'm guessing that the status change is "Work passed to contractor".

They'll have done bugger all as it was still under water until about two weeks ago - I'm not talking puddles, more of a pond the full width of the road.

I've added an comment/update to the Hants.gov website.
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

A real tyre and suspension wrecker that one.
I thought we had some bad 'uns down here, but they are merely amateur potholes compared to that one! :shock:
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

It's fixed at last, but a very poor job, (quite strong undulations driving across it and a small step/hole can still be felt), and the drain is still blocked. I'll take a closer look when I've got more time.

I can guarantee it won't last one winter, possibly not even the summer.
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Glad it has been sort of sorted.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

wine~o wrote:Glad it has been sort of sorted.
I stopped and examined the repair yesterday, driving over it feels a bit like going over a hump-back bridge as they've shovelled all the loose rubble out of the hole and then just left it in the road. Drain is still blocked.

Patch outlined in my finest handiwork.

The area in the foreground is just a huge hump of well packed gravel, driving over it makes no impression, almost like it's been put down with a wacker plate, I had to look twice to see the patch as I initially thought the hole had been filled with scalpings.

You can't help but notice the dappled sunlight on that corner, most of that road is like that, it can make it very hard to see the potholes until you've been down them a couple of times.
potholefixedplus.jpg
potholefixedplus.jpg (488.74 KiB) Viewed 2318 times
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

ayjay wrote:the drain is still blocked.
That's because that's down to the cleansing dept. :wink:

We had a blocked drain where i am, I reported it as blocked, and did one of these turn up?

no, one of these did.

Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)

Return to “The Lounge”