Connecting a PIR light

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

Argyll

Connecting a PIR light

Post by Argyll »

I need to connect a PIR light to the rear of my house to shine on to my back garden. Can I take the feed from a socket using 1.5mm T&E or does it need to be 2.5mm T&E?
Someone-Else

Re: Connecting a PIR light

Post by Someone-Else »

You have to use the same size cable that is already there. (2.5) This is because if there is a fault the weakest link fails first, which would be 1.5mm cable (if you used it)

How ever, what you should do, is to fit a 2.5mm cable feeding a fused connection unit, then you can use 1.5mm cable to the light. (you could also use 1mm cable)

If you get one like Image since it has an inbuilt switch it will make life easier.

I would also suggest two lights might be better, as one light is often mounted high up, which then lights up next door, the garden either side..........
These users thanked the author Someone-Else for the post:
Argyll
Rating: 7.14%
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)

Return to “Electric Forum UK”