Protecting a new Picnic Table/Pub Bench

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

Silver
Newly registered Member

Protecting a new Picnic Table/Pub Bench

Post by Silver »

Hi guys,

I've had very little experience with protecting garden furniture and am really confused as to what to use exactly..oil/stain/paint etc

The Picnic table is new and made from Swedish Redwood, pressure​ ​treatment​ ​Tanalith​ ​E.

I would very much like to be able to see the grain after treatment and a slight satin sheen would be nice too.

So would very much appreciate advise on what best to use..brands and links most welcome lol

Edit : Just to add the Picnic Table has not been painted/stained/oiled where I'm buying it from.
OchAye

Re: Protecting a new Picnic Table/Pub Bench

Post by OchAye »

:welcome:

Howdy Silver. Oil is the best "preservative". Teac oil or something like this http://www.liberon.co.uk/product/garden-furniture-oil/. Not sure what trousers/skirt you should wear to figure out if the bench is not giving out the oil though. Oil as often as you can and protect during the winter.

Also check this company https://www.osmouk.com/ for any exterior oils. Their products are highly regarded.
These users thanked the author OchAye for the post:
Silver
Rating: 7.14%
Silver
Newly registered Member

Post by Silver »

Hi and thanks for the reply OchAye and welcome, I am looking into the osmo products and I see they have a range for decking. Since Decking would be high traffic I'm guessing the product would need to be even tougher than the normal garden furniture stuff ...I might be wrong though.

Right now I'm thinking between getting the Decking oil or their Natural Oil Woodstain
These users thanked the author Silver for the post:
OchAye
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

The table being pressure treated may not take up that much - if any - stain. You lose nothing though by buying a stain oil, it will be more useful next year. Do not expect to just achieve the colour of the stain, the stain will be in addition to whatever colour you got and the result a bit darker than the wood you have etc. :-)
These users thanked the author OchAye for the post:
Silver
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

OchAye wrote:The table being pressure treated may not take up that much - if any - stain. You lose nothing though by buying a stain oil, it will be more useful next year.
In the past when I did fencing and the like I always used to advise leaving it over the first winter before staining it as Tanalith E will inhibit even take-up of any applied finish. In other words you'll possibly get a blotchy finish. After the first winter this never seems to be a problem
These users thanked the author Job and Knock for the post:
Silver
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
Manc chippy

Post by Manc chippy »

Pressure treated timber needs a few month to cure before it is treated. Then use 3 coats of the treatment of your choice.
These users thanked the author Manc chippy for the post:
Silver
Silver
Newly registered Member

Post by Silver »

Ok thanks everyone for the advice.

The company I purchased the table from advised me to just use a clear varnish, saying the treatment used would last 15 years.

However I think the best thing to do would be to wait at least a few months before using the exterior oil, then after that treat with oil yearly.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”