Flower Power!!!

All electrical lighting questions in here please. Including outside lighting and light switch / dimmer questions.

Moderator: Moderators

SquirrelHammer
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Flower Power!!!

Post by SquirrelHammer »

So i was wondering what everyones views were on using ceramic plant pots over recessed lights in the loft space? i seem to be getting mixed responses some swear by it where as others say it is dangerous due to them not being fire rated etc.

I am trying to convince myself not to buy thermahoods or those metal boxes from screwfix.

I am also in two minds whether to box the lights in for even less
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Re: Flower Power!!!

Post by OnlyMe »

It's a loft space. Therefore it's not a fire rated ceiling and firehoods are not required.
SquirrelHammer
Newly registered Member

Post by SquirrelHammer »

OnlyMe wrote:It's a loft space. Therefore it's not a fire rated ceiling and firehoods are not required.
I do not want the insulation layers all resting on the lights, would you say that boxing them in is just as good if fire rating is not required?
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

If they are halogens, don't box them in, and when did you last see fibreglass or glass fibre go for a walk? you didn't, just leave a gap round any lights.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
SquirrelHammer
Newly registered Member

Post by SquirrelHammer »

LEDs, i cleaned up all the wiring up there in prep for boarding up a few areas and noticed 270mm, 2 layers of insulation over the lot, no gap nothing.

I need to clear most of the old insulation as whoever went up there last must have ripped it all up like a wild cat and now i have it all in bits and not continuous.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

As OnlyMe points out, unless its a fire rated ceiling fire hoods are not required.

It seems to have come about because people have seen them / fire rated down lights and assumed they must use them, truth is they are only required for a fire rated ceiling.
The idea is that if there is a fire in the room / area below the ceiling then the light can melt, then fall out so allowing the fire a passage to elsewhere. A fire hood / fire rated light seals the gap if there is a fire so stopping the spread of fire.

If you are wondering why the ceiling doesn't catch fire its because, believe it or not plasterboard (not all, but most) is actually rated at 30 minutes, lots of time to get out.

So it is pointless installing fire rated lights where there is no danger to life such as a bedroom with a loft above. But some say the cost difference is negligible so they use fire rated lights any way.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Flower pots are great.............for planting flowers.

Not all pots are made the same, although they look the same, it is also said that the hole concentrates the light / heat and that can cause a fire, also, how do you get the cables out?

Return to “Lighting”