Crown White OB Gloss

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

dynamod
Elephant Man

Crown White OB Gloss

Post by dynamod »

Not often I use OB white, but tried Crown gloss yesterday and noticed something odd.

Crown gets cited as staying white the longest, but when you see this stuff next to a white undercoat, there is a slight moss green tinge to it. Dulux OB white gloss used to be ever so slightly grey, but that may have simply been a drop of black tint to aid opacity, but I wonder if Crown have hit on something colour-wise to retard yellowing.

Anyone else noticed this?
Nihil expectore in omnibus
spottie

Re: Crown White OB Gloss

Post by spottie »

It drys whiter
These users thanked the author spottie for the post:
dynamod
Rating: 7.14%
dynamod
Elephant Man

Post by dynamod »

You could see a difference in shade by the end of the day right enough. I'd love to know the chemistry of this stuff.
fitzy
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Post by fitzy »

I'm using the next gen stuff at the moment. Goes on green, drys white, but is greyer than some brands.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author fitzy for the post:
dynamod
ian gibson

Post by ian gibson »

It's the reason why it doesn't say brilliant white on the tins, just 'white'. Great stuff though, and believe me it does stay white for years.
These users thanked the author ian gibson for the post:
fitzy
Tom d'Angler

Post by Tom d'Angler »

Is this the Trade or Retail version?
jmt
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by jmt »

Trade. It does start off unnervingly sage green, but does dry back. It is also one of the best to apply, as is their solvent based U/C, the stuff just glides on.
These users thanked the author jmt for the post (total 2):
Tom d'Anglerian gibson
Rating: 14.29%
fitzy
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Post by fitzy »

ian gibson wrote:It's the reason why it doesn't say brilliant white on the tins, just 'white'. Great stuff though, and believe me it does stay white for years.
Agreed. Very good stuff

These users thanked the author fitzy for the post:
ian gibson
dynamod
Elephant Man

Post by dynamod »

I'm a wee bit tempted to use it again, as it goes on really nicely. The OB satin also gets well reviewed, and I'm wondering if it may be a viable alternative to the WB offerings.

It's a bit of a dilemma actually, as so many of us have become used to acrylics, there's a sense of somehow going backwards with this. That said, if the drying times are OK and it does indeed stay white, then there may be a good case for using it. It feels a bit counter-intuitive using oil, but that's just a knee-jerk to the last few years I suppose. It seems an incomplete view to not adopt what works after all.
These users thanked the author dynamod for the post (total 2):
ian gibsonfitzy
ian gibson

Post by ian gibson »

I look at it like this, in 2010 they took something perfect and ruined it, that really p*ssed me off and despite how good some of the acrylics have got, they will never beat the pre 2010 oils in terms of finish and labour time (extra coats). However, as has been mentioned, the recent oils have come a lot better and crown next gen trade undercoat, satin and gloss are almost near to how it was and, in my opinion, they are easier to use and give a better finish than the acrylics.
These users thanked the author ian gibson for the post:
fitzy
fitzy
CLOSED ACCOUNT

Post by fitzy »

dynamod wrote:I'm a wee bit tempted to use it again, as it goes on really nicely. The OB satin also gets well reviewed, and I'm wondering if it may be a viable alternative to the WB offerings.

It's a bit of a dilemma actually, as so many of us have become used to acrylics, there's a sense of somehow going backwards with this. That said, if the drying times are OK and it does indeed stay white, then there may be a good case for using it. It feels a bit counter-intuitive using oil, but that's just a knee-jerk to the last few years I suppose. It seems an incomplete view to not adopt what works after all.
I'm with you. I'm doing a hallway at the moment. All new eggbox panelled doors to paint both sides, and 8 frames.

I painted the woodwork in next gen last time and it still looked quite fresh, so using it again over Jonos Aqua.

I think it's a case of picking your jobs mate.

These users thanked the author fitzy for the post (total 2):
ian gibsondynamod
ian gibson

Post by ian gibson »

fitzy wrote:
dynamod wrote:I'm a wee bit tempted to use it again, as it goes on really nicely. The OB satin also gets well reviewed, and I'm wondering if it may be a viable alternative to the WB offerings.

I'm with you. I'm doing a hallway at the moment. All new eggbox panelled doors to paint both sides, and 8 frames.

I painted the woodwork in next gen last time and it still looked quite fresh, so using it again over Jonos Aqua.

I think it's a case of picking your jobs mate.

Definitely this. If your doing new work then you can't beat oil undercoat, it acts as a grain filler, which acrylics don't do. One thing about acrylics is, although touch dry in an hour or so, the full cure time takes ages, one lad told me he'd used armstead acrylic gloss on one job and the window boards were still tacky after a week!
Desmondo15

Post by Desmondo15 »

You better update your sticky on the front page Dyna. :thumbleft:
dynamod
Elephant Man

Post by dynamod »

:lol:

As much as it pains me to say this, but if a manufacturer has resolved or found a workaround for yellowing I feel they should be commended for it. So many white oils which were apparently 'New & Improved', simply didn't work, and so if Crown have finally cracked this problem, then at least it gives people, especially decorators, the option of using an oil finish that seems to work.
Desmondo15

Post by Desmondo15 »

Choice is good, but for how long???

What's the smell like?

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”