External lights

All electrical lighting questions in here please. Including outside lighting and light switch / dimmer questions.

Moderator: Moderators

Mr fixit
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

External lights

Post by Mr fixit »

Hi all

I work as a HGV vehicle mechanic. Im a keen diy’er and im currently refurbishing my house .ive learnt how to do Plastering,plumbing, flooring ect my main hobby is playing the guitar & drums ive built a music studio down the garden. And I need some help/advice i have 2 flood lights one on the house shining down the garden and the other on the music studio shining towards the house. I would like to be able
To switch them on & off from either position. I have a 3 core & earth cable in place via ducting to the 2 switches as yet not connected I intend to supply power to them from the spare in the consumer unit in the music studio

Cheers
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Re: External lights

Post by OnlyMe »

:welcomeuhm:

If this is PVC 3 core and earth you cannot run it through external ducting. The ducting will, no matter what you do, fill with water. You are going to have to swap the cable for SWA etc to do the job properly.
Mr fixit
Newly registered Member

Post by Mr fixit »

Hi

Many thanks for your reply. The ducting is as used by the telecoms industry its compartmentalised & carries all power, broadband, coxial, phone line, alarm line cables, in individual fully sealed air/water tight compartments and is laid under ground to termination points inside both the music studio & my workshop the cables are then run via internal conduits to their various points also the main duct is connected to my air compressor with a pressure gauge and is kept at 40psi please could you advise on how best to connect my previous question

Cheers kev
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Just for clarification.

You want to be able to switch both lights on / off at the same time, but from two locations? and you only have 3 cores between the two?
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

Mr fixit wrote:Hi

Many thanks for your reply. The ducting is as used by the telecoms industry its compartmentalised & carries all power, broadband, coxial, phone line, alarm line cables, in individual fully sealed air/water tight compartments and is laid under ground to termination points inside both the music studio & my workshop the cables are then run via internal conduits to their various points also the main duct is connected to my air compressor with a pressure gauge and is kept at 40psi please could you advise on how best to connect my previous question

Cheers kev
You are a core shot
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

OnlyMe wrote:You are a core shot
Think OnlyMe means core short :roll:

I was going to say That you can not do as you want, because it will not work, but then I thought I would check to see if what you want is what I think you want, hence my question, but since OnlyMe has now told you what I was thinking............
These users thanked the author Someone-Else for the post:
Mr fixit
Rating: 7.14%

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

someone-else wrote:
OnlyMe wrote:You are a core shot
Think OnlyMe means core short :roll:

I was going to say That you can not do as you want, because it will not work, but then I thought I would check to see if what you want is what I think you want, hence my question, but since OnlyMe has now told you what I was thinking............
Some Bastad stole my r key from the keyboard.
These users thanked the author OnlyMe for the post:
Mr fixit
Mr fixit
Newly registered Member

Post by Mr fixit »

Thanks guys for the advice !! So i guess i’ll have a busy weekend pulling a new 5 core cable though the duct & resealing it again and once ive done that how do i correctly terminate the cables
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Pictures make life easier for us and you.

I will wait for the pics

Mr fixit
Newly registered Member

Post by Mr fixit »

Hi All

Cable is ordered so I await its arrival I’m pleased & proud of what I have achieved so far and would really like to share it with you via photos. But I’m unable to do so as I’m ex military and still doing same Role as a civilian.. as I work on & live close to an active base my C/O advises against any possibility of disclosing my location

Thank you for your help
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/how-t ... -switching

that shows the 3 cores between the two light switches. Note that live and switched live are available at both switches. The extra core will be your neutral (not shown in that guide).
These users thanked the author OnlyMe for the post:
Mr fixit
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Mr fixit wrote: as I work on & live close to an active base my C/O advises against any possibility of disclosing my location

Thank you for your help

But you have no idea what I look like or exactly where I live, either

Also you said you are ex, military so you don't have a c/o

Mr fixit
Newly registered Member

Post by Mr fixit »

Firstly Its quite clear that you have no idea of how the military Functions!! Any civilian working along side serving soldiers is answerable to the commanding officer..

Secondly you clearly haven’t been keeping up to date with the situation that has developed in Wiltshire over the last few weeks
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

Subtle use of the words "working alongside"?

I have worked at MOD bases. I am a civilian and I am NOT answerable to a CO.
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

OnlyMe wrote:http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/how-t ... -switching

that shows the 3 cores between the two light switches. Note that live and switched live are available at both switches. The extra core will be your neutral (not shown in that guide).

Just noticed that on that guide someone has wasted brown sleeving on the old colours :B

Return to “Lighting”