How to transfer old WLM2011 emails into Outlook 2016 2pc's

All your computer hardware and software questions in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

GC2decor8
Newly registered Member

How to transfer old WLM2011 emails into Outlook 2016 2pc's

Post by GC2decor8 »

I have a dilemma which I hope someone can advise sensible advice??

I have my old Win 7 home premium pc installed with Windows Live Mail (2011 I think but could be 2012) and all its storage folders.
Enter new pc with Win 10 home premium with Outlook 2016 and no storage folders created - yet!

Now I understand the principal that the WLM mails and folders should xfer to Outlook 2016 in CSV format but as we all know Microsoft in their wisdom decided not to make this job as easy as that!! ::b
Doesn't help that it's 2 completely separate pcs.

I am looking for a way to transfer my old emails and storage folders from my Win 7 pc complete with received date and time stamps over to my new singing and dancing Win 10 pc. I have tried this same question on Microsoft tech forum and didn't really get any good ideas.

Any advice be much appreciated. :thumbleft:
Thanks in advance.
Bob225

Re: How to transfer old WLM2011 emails into Outlook 2016 2pc

Post by Bob225 »

File - Export - .csv in wml ------ File - Import - Import from a program or file - .csv in outlook

That works 95% of the time - note that it adds the folder into the archive folder at the bottom of the list of folders or on its own tab
These users thanked the author Bob225 for the post:
GC2decor8
Rating: 7.14%
GC2decor8
Newly registered Member

Post by GC2decor8 »

Thanks Bob225 will have to reaquaint myself with the old pc to make sense of what you have put. If I get stuck will come back on this thread.

I take it you mean the selectable tabs on left side within WLM and Outlook and their subsequent menus? I tried attempting this last year and gave up miserably but need to put old pc to recycle.

Once I've done the emails can I make the HDD in old pc a slave HDD in new pc? Still got loads of data on it. Or is it safer to copy stuff to a usb stick and xfer that way?
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

yes left hand pane there is a bullet point/arrow

you can put the old hdd in you pc it makes transferring items much quicker
These users thanked the author Bob225 for the post:
GC2decor8
GC2decor8
Newly registered Member

Post by GC2decor8 »

Ok thanks for that advice. :thumbleft:
Just curious to know how this email xfer method works. Does it save the email files/folders and contents somewhere on a virtual Microsoft cloud during xfer? Reason I'm asking is that it's from 1pc to another. Can't see how atm. :scratch:
Does it keep time and date stamps as per original?
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

It saves a .csv to a folder, transfer it onto a usb stick, put it on the new pc and import it
Beav

Post by Beav »

CSV will only do contacts.

If you are going to outlook you will need an EML toPST converter.

To be honest it may be easier for you to go to Mozilla Thunderbird if you want to keep emails too.
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

The issue with thunderbird is it doesn't recognise the headings from wlm and screws up the import, 3rd party pst conversion can be very hit and miss aswell

wlm can export .eml directly to outlook File - Export - Email messages - Exchange server (this lets you export to outlook)

but it does require both programs on the same machine
Beav

Post by Beav »

Bob225 wrote:The issue with thunderbird is it doesn't recognise the headings from wlm and screws up the import, 3rd party pst conversion can be very hit and miss aswell

wlm can export .eml directly to outlook File - Export - Email messages - Exchange server (this lets you export to outlook)

but it does require both programs on the same machine
True. We use a PST converter at work but I have forgotten the name off it now.

When we do the contacts just before you import you can assign which field from the csv will be match it in thunderbird. We usually just click up I think it is then the email column actually matches up with the layout in thunderbird then.
These users thanked the author Beav for the post:
GC2decor8
GC2decor8
Newly registered Member

Post by GC2decor8 »

Interesting reading on the process thanks for that Bob225 and Beav.

Ok, I have another quick question. Looks like my old pc because I've not used it in a long time is now not booting up proper. Its whirring like it should but nothing coming up on screen even though monitor lead is connected to the graphics card by a DVI lead. So presuming battery going or gone???? Going to give it another go later this week after which is the below worth considering?
Would I still be able to transfer from wlm to outlook if I put HDD from old pc to new pc?
Would I need to flip switch on hdd to make it a slave drive?
Do I need to install a version of wlm to do this?
Don't get much time at pc these days coz of work, hence only just read the above posts!
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Beav

Post by Beav »

GC2decor8 wrote:Interesting reading on the process thanks for that Bob225 and Beav.

Ok, I have another quick question. Looks like my old pc because I've not used it in a long time is now not booting up proper. Its whirring like it should but nothing coming up on screen even though monitor lead is connected to the graphics card by a DVI lead. So presuming battery going or gone???? Going to give it another go later this week after which is the below worth considering?
Would I still be able to transfer from wlm to outlook if I put HDD from old pc to new pc?
Would I need to flip switch on hdd to make it a slave drive?
Do I need to install a version of wlm to do this?
Don't get much time at pc these days coz of work, hence only just read the above posts!
Thanks in advance for any advice.
You can still transfer it but you would need a caddy/enclosure to do so if your old PC will not start. Make sure you get a 3.5" and get IDE if the drive has pins where the cable plugs in order a SATA one if it doesn't. I don't usually have to put IDE in slave mode if I plug it into a caddy. Then plug the caddy into your new pc with the USB cable provided.

Ide be surprised if you could download WLM now(Ive not had any luck at work doing so). You would need to go to (on the old drive once plugged in) This PC then find the correct drive letters and double click to open it then > User > App Data > Microsoft and find the Live Mail folder with the emails ( Would need to convert that folder with the emails in using a converter).

To go to App Data you may need to search "Files and folders" and enable hidden folders/files.

Return to “Computers”