Flat roof raised Edge

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

Moderator: Moderators

markforrester1982
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Flat roof raised Edge

Post by markforrester1982 »

Hi All,

I have a very water tight garage at the moment with what appears to be a pretty decent overall construction on the flat roof about 18 years ago.

The walls are blockwork, covered in render and then painted white. Recently we have had alot of rain and i have notice some brown stains running down the render. First thing i done was cleaned out all the gutters incase that was an issue but the problem still seems to be there.

I have done a pretty decent survey of the roof from above and the only issues i have found are on the raised edges of the roof construction where some felt has come away.

See attached picture

Im thinking that the water is probably getting on the wood and washing out dirt and other crap down the walls at the moment. I dont want to fully redo the roof but im interested in what people would recommend?

I was thinking of getting some new roof felt and cutting it to size and nailing or bonding it over the felt that has failed and then using a rubberised paint over it to reseal it properly and prevent further issues. Its not an area of the roof that will have water sitting on it for a long period of time, its literally the rain drops that hit the exposed structure that are causing the problem. Long term plan is to remove all roof chippings and paint the roof to give it an extra bit of protection for the next 5-10 years and then ultimately decide whether to replace the whole roof structure for something else.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
moderator2
UHM Super Moderator

Re: Flat roof raised Edge

Post by moderator2 »

Pic not showing here.
markforrester1982
Newly registered Member

I have seen you can get flashing tape to do repairs but i imagine it wont stick down very well to old felt. I have been up on the roof and given it a good brush down and the only damage pieces are on the edges where the felt has been folded over and attached to the sides of the garage.
wes56

Post by wes56 »

why not show photos of more of the rooff and the damp stained fascia wall?
your edge trim wood angle fillet
is for abutments itsthe wrong stuff for edging.the section is to sharp.
the edging felt strips look to have been applied wrong and its not stuck down over the edging fillet.

maybe an acrypol repair with some fresh felt will do for a bit but i've not seen the state of whole roof. doubt that youl get 10 yrs wear.
markforrester1982
Newly registered Member

Thanks for the reply.

I have attached a few more photos.

The roof seems pretty decent underneath the chippings which i guess have protected it from the elements. What should be used on the edge instead? The garage only has a gutter on one side and the roof is angled towards that. I assumed the edging is there to direct the water down towards the gutter?

I pulled some of the roof material off at the edges and there is some evidence of tar on the raised edge. Im tempted to rip the raised edge off but obviously dont want to make the situation worse if its there for a reason

Thanks in advance for your help. I obviously know that the roof is getting tired but i would like to keep it going abit longer as ultimately it is only a garage and i just want it to be reasonably water tight. At the moment no water is getting inside the garage but im obviously aware that the water will gradually degrade the board underneath the felt and that will also end up needing replacing so im trying to avoid that really.
wes56

Post by wes56 »

the corner exposed area can be repaired as best possible with acrypol and felt.
water discharging from the roof down the to deep drip edge onto the very low and shallow gutter could be splashin behind the gutter and running down.
if no water staininng is showing inside the garage then your ahead of the game for the time being

Return to “Damp Proofing and Remedial problems”