Moderator: Moderators

Larryboy
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Choosing a self levelling concrete

Post by Larryboy »

Hi all,

Very inexperienced diyer here, I've laid a concrete floor in my house that is approximately 40mm deep (it's atop of an already existing floor), but it's not level and I'd like to lay tiles on it.
Can anyone advise what type and amount of self levelling concrete I should use to balance it all before putting the tiles down?
Unsure if this is relevant but it's my kitchen floor so there will be a lot of footfall on it.

Many thanks,

Larry
davyp1

Re: Choosing a self levelling concrete

Post by davyp1 »

Larryboy wrote:Hi all,

Very inexperienced diyer here, I've laid a concrete floor in my house that is approximately 40mm deep (it's atop of an already existing floor), but it's not level and I'd like to lay tiles on it.
Can anyone advise what type and amount of self levelling concrete I should use to balance it all before putting the tiles down?
Unsure if this is relevant but it's my kitchen floor so there will be a lot of footfall on it.

Many thanks,

Larry
Hi Larry,
To be honest I have concerns for your floor. You say you have laid a concrete floor 40mm thick over an existing floor (thickness not known?). First to clarify, concrete is a measured mixture of Gravel - sharp sand & Cement. As you would have experienced difficulty in laying a mix containing gravel at 40mm thick I am assuming that you laid a Screed (sharp & cement mix.
My concerns are that you may not have bonded your layer with that laid previously.
If not, your layer could curl, crack and lift or all of these.
But if nothing has happened to date you could still proceed using "Self Leveling compound".
You would need to to check for the difference in levels and once you have decided on the thickness to be laid, you would form a 'bank' at the doorway which would dictate the thickness there. Mixing and laying is all to manufactures instructions. Hope that helps.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/cementone-fl ... 0wodnLMCGQ

Davyp1

Return to “Building Forum”