Rim lock handle problem.

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

sean1810
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rim lock handle problem.

Post by sean1810 »

Hi. I am new to this site so not sure if this is the right place to ask this. We have rim locks on a few of our doors and these all have round handles which are very hard to grip for my elderly mother. Does anyone know are there any other kinds of handles (ie lever handles) that will fit rim locks or any types of adapters? I have trolled the internet but cannot see anything. Can you help? Cheers to all.
OchAye

Re: Rim lock handle problem.

Post by OchAye »

:welcomeuhm:

I thought that was an easy query until I tried to find what you need which would be the cheapest door handle (spindle + 2 levers with a hole to put a nail or screw through so the handles stay on the spindle).

Here is near enough the spindle you would need assuming yours cannot be reused https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/pro ... 6mm-926553 but I would rather you did not depend on grub screws (if it comes off the door will not be easy to open from the inside).

May I suggest a visit to your local "proper" ironmonger and look at what they got. Below a photo of the simplest handle you could get but like you I cannot find one, you can move up from that and have a plate or rose on the outside of the door but you still need the inner handle to be able to grip on the spindle which has to grip with the outer handle.
handle.jpg
handle.jpg (30.5 KiB) Viewed 1112 times
PS. Ho hum if your lock is imperial.
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

Try a architectural salvage type place iirc they use to be Bakelite level handles
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Some builders merchants stock handles with grub screws...
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk

Return to “General DIY forum”