Moderator: Moderators

Talbot’s
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Extension questions

Post by Talbot’s »

Hi,

I’m looking for some clarification over extensions, drawings, building regs etc. We are looking to build a small, single storey extension that would require planning permission. We have a family friend who will more than likely be doing the building works, all internal works will be done ourselves and glazing I will supply. We have a small budget (as you might have guessed) with the possibility of a little wriggle room.

I’m trying to find out the best way to go about getting plans approved and ensuring we conform to building regs in the most cost effective way. I didn’t particularly want to be paying out for an architect but if it is best and cost effective then so be it.

Any advice on getting plans approved and the early stages of building works would be greatly appreciated :-)

Thanks!
artillerydave1
Newly registered Member

Re: Extension questions

Post by artillerydave1 »

We got an architect to do ours, and drawings, submission, steel calculations etc came in at about a grand. It was money well spent as thry came up with options we wouldn't have considered.

Sent from my LG-D722 using Tapatalk
London mike 61

Post by London mike 61 »

We had a extension built about 2 years ago and here are some points that you may want to consider

1. Get a architect, one that you will be able to consult as the build progresses because there are always anomalies that come up that the builder may interpret the plans differently to what was intended.
2. If you are doing the groundwork yourself then work with the builder when you set out the foundations and it’s nearly always cheaper to have a grab lorry take away the spoil from the founds.
3. Mix on site concrete is IMO cheaper than ordering a set cubic metres of pre mixed as you only pay for what you use.
4. Set aside a safe and secure place for building materials as you don’t wat any nicked.
5. Set up your own account with a building supplier
6. Make sure that plumbing and electrical supplies are from a well known make rather than Chinese imports and plastic or copper pipe for services?
7. Shop around for deals on fittings
8. Be involved, don’t assume the builder will do everything to your liking , friend or no friend
9. Good luck!!

Mike
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
Manc chippy

Post by Manc chippy »

You can do it yourself if you want to spend the time and take the risk...its called gambling. You might win or you may loose loads of money.
Your local councils website should have their planing info or their website or you can call them up.

If you are using over a cubic meter of cement it's best to have it delivered pre-mixed
Don't forget ALL the building regs
stuart45

Post by stuart45 »

There is the option of doing it with a building notice which requires more basic plans. This is more if you are doing the majority of the work yourself, as it's difficult for a builder to give you an accurate price this way.
Talbot’s
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by Talbot’s »

Thanks everyone! Lots to consider and think about, quite scary given our tiny budget!

Return to “Building Forum”