Measuring for new pvc windows

Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
Argyll
Senior Member
Posts: 3806
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 843 times
Been thanked: 318 times

Measuring for new pvc windows

Post by Argyll » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:19 pm

To save me typing I've made a wee video

User avatar
wine~o
Senior Member
Posts: 24624
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:49 pm
Location: hants/dorset border
Has thanked: 1315 times
Been thanked: 3618 times

Re: Measuring for new pvc windows

Post by wine~o » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:50 pm

No wonder you are confused.

Measure externally (brick to brick) height and width, check the measurements top / middle/ bottom...there may be slight variance.

Deduct 10mm (5mm each side... that's where you got 5mm from) You'll need some plastic packers to get everything level and plumb.
Verwood Handyman

Verwood Handyman


___________________________________________________________________

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
User avatar
steviejoiner74
Senior Member
Posts: 7998
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:04 pm
Location: Fife
Has thanked: 747 times
Been thanked: 1616 times

Re: Measuring for new pvc windows

Post by steviejoiner74 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:53 pm

wine~o wrote:No wonder you are confused.

Measure externally (brick to brick) height and width, check the measurements top / middle/ bottom...there may be slight variance.

Deduct 10mm (5mm each side... that's where you got 5mm from) You'll need some plastic packers to get everything level and plumb.
Oh but argyll is in Scotland so you want to take the brick to brick size and ADD 5mm each way as the windows butt against the outside brickwork/ingoe.
Get rid of those old sash boxes and frame out with 6x2 which will give you something to fix new windows too. Either plasterboard and plaster with just a cill internally or have some harwood finishings to finish window off.
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
User avatar
Argyll
Senior Member
Posts: 3806
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 843 times
Been thanked: 318 times

Re: Measuring for new pvc windows

Post by Argyll » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:59 pm

Stevie now I'm confused! If I add 10mm it won't fit in the recess surely?
User avatar
wine~o
Senior Member
Posts: 24624
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:49 pm
Location: hants/dorset border
Has thanked: 1315 times
Been thanked: 3618 times

Re: Measuring for new pvc windows

Post by wine~o » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:21 pm

steviejoiner74 wrote:
wine~o wrote:No wonder you are confused.

Measure externally (brick to brick) height and width, check the measurements top / middle/ bottom...there may be slight variance.

Deduct 10mm (5mm each side... that's where you got 5mm from) You'll need some plastic packers to get everything level and plumb.
Oh but argyll is in Scotland so you want to take the brick to brick size and ADD 5mm each way as the windows butt against the outside brickwork/ingoe.
Get rid of those old sash boxes and frame out with 6x2 which will give you something to fix new windows too. Either plasterboard and plaster with just a cill internally or have some harwood finishings to finish window off.
They make windholes differently in Scotland?
Verwood Handyman

Verwood Handyman


___________________________________________________________________

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
User avatar
steviejoiner74
Senior Member
Posts: 7998
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:04 pm
Location: Fife
Has thanked: 747 times
Been thanked: 1616 times

Re: Measuring for new pvc windows

Post by steviejoiner74 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:28 pm

The sash boxes need to come out. Pointless fitting a new pvc window and not taking out the old boxes.
The internal brick,block or whatever is set back so the window buts against the outside skin of block,brick. In this case it’s even bigger inside as you’ve a sash box there that needs to come out.
Wine-o,in England the windows are fitted in between the outside skin of brick or block hence the difference in measuring them from up here.
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
User avatar
Argyll
Senior Member
Posts: 3806
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 843 times
Been thanked: 318 times

Re: Measuring for new pvc windows

Post by Argyll » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:02 pm

Ah I see what you mean now Stevie.

So I'm installing the window from inside so it butts up against the outer skin. I was looking at it as if I was fitting the window from the outside but now I think about it that's silly.

If the sash casing is presumably around 30-40mm thick is adding just 10mm enough?
User avatar
Argyll
Senior Member
Posts: 3806
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 843 times
Been thanked: 318 times

Re: Measuring for new pvc windows

Post by Argyll » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:12 pm

Out of curiousity what's the difference in the English windows? Is the outer and inner brickwork the same size?
User avatar
steviejoiner74
Senior Member
Posts: 7998
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:04 pm
Location: Fife
Has thanked: 747 times
Been thanked: 1616 times

Re: Measuring for new pvc windows

Post by steviejoiner74 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:21 pm

Argyll wrote:Out of curiousity what's the difference in the English windows? Is the outer and inner brickwork the same size?
Yes.
These users thanked the author steviejoiner74 for the post:
Argyll
Rating: 7.14%
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
User avatar
steviejoiner74
Senior Member
Posts: 7998
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:04 pm
Location: Fife
Has thanked: 747 times
Been thanked: 1616 times

Re: Measuring for new pvc windows

Post by steviejoiner74 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:22 pm

Argyll wrote:Ah I see what you mean now Stevie.

So I'm installing the window from inside so it butts up against the outer skin. I was looking at it as if I was fitting the window from the outside but now I think about it that's silly.

If the sash casing is presumably around 30-40mm thick is adding just 10mm enough?
Yeah that’ll be fine.
These users thanked the author steviejoiner74 for the post:
Argyll
Rating: 7.14%
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
User avatar
Argyll
Senior Member
Posts: 3806
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 843 times
Been thanked: 318 times

Re: Measuring for new pvc windows

Post by Argyll » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:33 pm

Stevie I understand there are two methods to install these windows:

1. Use the metal clips that attach to the side of the PVC window.
2. Wedge wooden blocks into the cavity and attach large screws through the side of the PVC frame into the wooden blocks.

I'm told the second method is best as it's easier to level up the window. What's your preferred method?
User avatar
steviejoiner74
Senior Member
Posts: 7998
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:04 pm
Location: Fife
Has thanked: 747 times
Been thanked: 1616 times

Re: Measuring for new pvc windows

Post by steviejoiner74 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:15 pm

Argyll wrote:Stevie I understand there are two methods to install these windows:

1. Use the metal clips that attach to the side of the PVC window.
2. Wedge wooden blocks into the cavity and attach large screws through the side of the PVC frame into the wooden blocks.

I'm told the second method is best as it's easier to level up the window. What's your preferred method?
Tbh the best way for you to do your window is remove the sash box then fix a 6x2 or similar frame to the brickwork and pack and fix directly into that. You’ll be able to close off the cavity this way and also give yourself a fixing for the window and the ingoes/reveals.
These users thanked the author steviejoiner74 for the post:
Argyll
Rating: 7.14%
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
fin
Senior Member
Posts: 6808
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:49 pm
Location: south tyneside
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 522 times

Re: Measuring for new pvc windows

Post by fin » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:00 pm

ha we seem to have a mix of both types here. some new build houses also have the windows butted to the back of the outer leaf and others have the windows fitted to the outer leaf.
These users thanked the author fin for the post:
Argyll
Rating: 7.14%
Post Reply

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”