Moderator: Moderators

raze599
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Painting New Plywood

Post by raze599 »

Hi all

Been trying to get my head around how to paint plywood to achieve a nice, smooth finish. In the near future I will be building a wardrobe and computer desk from plywood. The computer desk especially will be used heavily and therefore I wanted to use a varnish over the top of paint. From my research there seem to be some incompatibilities between types of products so I just wanted to confirm if what I've researched is correct.

What I've worked out so far is:

1) Sand bare plywood to 120 grit
2) Apply water based primer/undercoat e.g. Leyland Trade Acrylic Primer (2 Coats) and sand each coat lightly with 240 grit
3) Apply Dulux Brilliant White (2 Coats)
4) Apply varnish e.g. Woodleys Acrylic Interior Varnish (2-3 coats depending on area)

Does that all seem compatible?

Thanks
Manc chippy

Re: Painting New Plywood

Post by Manc chippy »

You don't paint a surface you want to varnish.
Sand the ply using 120 grit.
If you really want to then use zinsser clear primer. Then do a few coats of varnish lightly sanding between each one. Some waxes can be used on varnished surfaces once its cured if you want an additional protective layer.
raze599
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by raze599 »

Hi

Thanks for the reply

I'd like to have a white result, not the colour of the plywood. It is for this reason that I put the paint in there.

How about something such as a lacquer? Would that be more appropriate than varnish?
artillerydave1
Newly registered Member

Post by artillerydave1 »

Thought about getting a piece of glass cut to cover the top? Works well on desk furniture and gives a nice surface to work from. I did a similar project with a fireplace and had a piece of toughened beveled edge glass cut to finish it off.

Sent from my LG-D722 using Tapatalk
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

raze599 wrote:What I've worked out so far is:

1) Sand bare plywood to 120 grit
2) Apply water based primer/undercoat e.g. Leyland Trade Acrylic Primer (2 Coats) and sand each coat lightly with 240 grit
3) Apply Dulux Brilliant White (2 Coats)
4) Apply varnish e.g. Woodleys Acrylic Interior Varnish (2-3 coats depending on area)

Does that all seem compatible?
:welcomeuhm:

It sounds like a convoluted approach with products being picked out of a bucket.

1. Sanding with whatever grade will depend on how much grain the plywood shows. If the grain is too open and you try sanding a lot you may get nowhere. My approach (if I could be bothered) would be to sand, fill the grain, sand again. Which raises the question of what wood filler :-( That in order to achieve a glass like surface. If you don't want a glass like surface and you do not mind some grain showing through then skip the filling.

2. Leyland whatever ... did you choose it on price?

3. Dulux brilliant white sounds like emulsion not the hardest best wearing paint by a long way.

4. No idea about the varnish but it sounds as if it is for wood so how will it stick to what is a weak layer (the emulsion) I don't know.

What about starting with the paint and work out what is needed either side of it (underneath and over it).
Decide on the level of sheen you want and there are acrylic (diamond, scrubbable and other trade names) water based paints, eggshell, satin etc. I guess the paint goes on all the woodwork and then you got the additional worry about protecting the desk.

Dynamod (are you listening?) often recommends Bedec Aqua advanced in the absence of Sikkens BL Satura (discontinued). If you chose your paint then chose the primer/undercoat from the same family why risk adhesion by chancing different brands? The amount of effort you will put into this project is not IMHO worth saving a fiver but there again you know what is in your pocket.

If you want to go down the route of varnishing look at polyvine decorator's varnish. I don't know how hard wearing it is but at least it is designed to stick on surfaces other than wood. I personally like the idea of glass mentioned above for the desk if it is a straightforward affordable option, and paint more durable then emulsion for everything.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Much depends on the plywood you use. The stuff you get at BnQ is made from very course fibre veneers and you cannot get it sanded flat and it looks grainy when painted and splinters easily. Cabinet grade ply is what you need for the best painted results but you need to get this via a proper wood yard. If you get the quality ply your paint finish will be far better and give a professional look. :thumbright:

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
OchAye
Rating: 7.14%
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

dewaltdisney wrote:and splinters easily
Thank you. Exactly what I was trying to describe/explain.
These users thanked the author OchAye for the post:
dewaltdisney
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”