Advice re. Makita Reciprocating Saw please?

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

arco_iris

Advice re. Makita Reciprocating Saw please?

Post by arco_iris »

A few weeks ago I noticed a window fitter using a cordless reciprocating saw to hack out an old 75mm frame, and further back a different fitter used a Fein I think, to remove a hardwood frame. Then looking at youtube about installing a pocket door (which I have to do shortly), studs & drywall, the guy used one there too. Good idea to get one then, I already have Makita batteries & other tools.

DJR182 apparently has a maximum capacity of 50mm.
DJR183 also 50mm but seems to have two switches so it can be used in different orientations.
DJR186 has a capacity of 255mm wood and a longer throw.

On fleabay there's a tool dealer offering a (50mm) DJR183 with a pack of 225mm blades which seems contradictory.

Which do I need to go for, the 186 & generally use it with shorter blades? I will also need to cut a quantity of 110mm soil pipes this year - will the 183 take the longer blades for the plastic?

Thanks, Paul.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Re: Advice re. Makita Reciprocating Saw please?

Post by big-all »

recip saw for demolition yes
accurateish [nearly strait and level within a few mm]cutting is possible but only with batons / jigs and lots off farting about time and setting up at each cut
These users thanked the author big-all for the post:
arco_iris
Rating: 7.14%
we are all ------------------still learning
arco_iris

Post by arco_iris »

That's helpful, thanks, no demolition to do - I have a Makita 36v chainsaw for that and it's, so far, brilliant. Electricity Board are replacing a pole on my property and said they'll leave me the old one for firewood.

(They've already delivered the 11Kva transformer to site, and I can't move it, it's so heavy).
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

A recip saw is a pure demolition machine. No amount of faffing about with battens, etc will make it even as accurate as a £20 cheap Chinese jigsaw IMHO. I'm told that the DJR182/183/185 are more akin to a powered hacksaw than a traditional recip saw (insufficient capacity in any case) and are aimed particularly at plumbers, sparkies, etc). It's maybe worth noting that one of the big differences between a jigsaw and a recip saw is that a jigsaw can cut curves, circles, etc - recip blades can't really handle this very well. The DJR186 is the only one of the models you asked about which is a true recip saw capable of cutting-out a door or window frame, but it is the basic model. The two heavy duty cordless Makita recip saws with performance approaching that of a corded saw are the DJR187 and DJR188 brushless models.
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933

Return to “Tool Talk”