Replacement roof valley

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

dommy82
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Replacement roof valley

Post by dommy82 »

Been charged £650 for a two man job to remove, replace and re-tile area around my roof valley. They have been and gone in an hour because they used a crane on back of lorry rather than scaffolding but still seemed expensive but other quotes were higher as scaffolding would be used. Does this price seem about right to you?
Someone-Else

Re: Replacement roof valley

Post by Someone-Else »

What colour hair have I?

You can't answer for the same reason we can not answer yours with a definitive answer. The "item" in question needs to be seen.
There are many varying factors, such as location, was the "crane" hired (or was it a cherry picker?) how many and what tiles were replaced, was anything else done the list goes on.
Its also too late in your case since the job has been done. Suppose some one on here said no thats too much what will you do? You can't really say some one on a forum who has no idea what has actually been done says that job is only £50 so here is £100

I had the valley changed as it leaked, it was zinc, its now lead, one man took around 3 days to do it and he had scaffolding we paid more than you.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

dommy82 wrote:Been charged £650 for a two man job to remove, replace and re-tile area around my roof valley. They have been and gone in an hour because they used a crane on back of lorry rather than scaffolding
I have to admit it seems a tad excessive at first sight, but without being able to see some photos of the job it is difficult to say, especially as we don't know whereabouts in the country you are, what the access is like, whether permits are required (some councils charge you to use cherry pickers on the public highway as they are blocking parking spaces), congestion charges (high in London on commercial vehicles), materials costs (e.g lead, etc), etc. A cherry picker is actually a lot more expensive to hire or run than scaffolding towers, but both require extra insurance and appropriate training (at £200/day renewed every 3 to 5 years) and this needs to be factored into the price charged - so with that sort of kit you aren't going to be paying just a flat hourly rate for the operatives. In terms of price most firms and many small one-man bands tend to charge a minimum of 1/2 day whether the job takes 1 hour or 4 hours because with travel, traffic, etc the job they did may well be their only job that day
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

Couple of rolls of lead is around 200 quid,other materials and labour not to mention the cost of the cherry picker. Seems fair enough to me.
Would you rather they erected scaffold and it was more expensive?
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.

Return to “General DIY forum”