Fitting of ceiling chandelier - wires

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

Ar1a
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Fitting of ceiling chandelier - wires

Post by Ar1a »

Hello

I am in need of sone help , I would like to know how can a fit a chandelier into my ceiling, previously had a normal light the one that just add the shade .

I have attached pictures , the chandelier wires are the same as the previous wires - two one brown and one blue .

I had to remove the plastic to fit the brackets.

Can someone explain me which wires goes with

Thank you for the help
Attachments
Previous
Previous
FDC4B835-9AD6-4B48-8E7C-EB46C0D4A5DF.jpeg (199.63 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
Previous wires fitting
Previous wires fitting
B921A77E-6747-43E7-A008-884945DFC226.jpeg (198.17 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
Chandelier wires
Chandelier wires
2D964917-132E-4027-B5B6-EB84E8E4D731.jpeg (301.28 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
Wires after stripping the previous fitting
Wires after stripping the previous fitting
BBDEB8A4-641E-4CDE-8778-F1241DA37E63.jpeg (317.74 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
Ar1a
Newly registered Member

Re: Fitting of ceiling chandelier - wires

Post by Ar1a »

Basically if I didn’t have to remove the round plastic bit I would have to just connect the brown and blue wires of the chadelier to the previous brown and blue wires - but due to not be able to fit the bracket under or on the top of the round plastic but i had to remove it and when i did that i had to disconnect the wires
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

:welcomeuhm:

Sadly the pics as provided don't show the important bits.

What colours are the cores (wires) at the switch ??
These users thanked the author wine~o for the post:
Ar1a
Rating: 7.14%
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Ar1a
Newly registered Member

Post by Ar1a »

wine~o wrote::welcomeuhm:

Sadly the pics as provided don't show the important bits.

What colours are the cores (wires) at the switch ??
I am attaching a picture
They are black red and yellow ( earth ) i think positive neutral and earth

Thank you for your answer
Attachments
BB02963E-1802-454C-8F61-DFCBAD4A1196.jpeg
BB02963E-1802-454C-8F61-DFCBAD4A1196.jpeg (233.45 KiB) Viewed 2128 times
Kev888

Post by Kev888 »

Unfortunately things aren't as visually helpful as they should have been. Do you have any kind of electrical test meter?

Also, does the switch only turn this light on, or are there one or more other lights that would come on at the same time?
These users thanked the author Kev888 for the post:
Ar1a
Rating: 7.14%
Kev
Ar1a
Newly registered Member

Post by Ar1a »

Kev888 wrote:Unfortunately things aren't as visually helpful as they should have been. Do you have any kind of electrical test meter?

Also, does the switch only turn this light on, or are there one or more other lights that would come on at the same time?
The switch only turns this light on .

My apology for lack of knowledge, can you please tell me what information i meed to provide and i can do that .

I live in London and all the quotes ive gotten are for the fitting of ceiling lamp £100 nothing under that

So i thought that i may give it a go and i am quote good with DIY

Regards
arco_iris

Post by arco_iris »

I am not offering to solve the issue, but wish to point out to OP, "Ar1a" why we can't help from the info. provided:

Studying the pictures, (1) & (3) are irrelevant as relate to the old pendant fitting and the new Mickey Mouse affair.

We can enlarge picture (2) which shows us a bog-standard, conventional ceiling rose with black & red wires. We can see THREE earth sleeves.

However, picture (4) shows a long grey cable, with a blue and a brown exposed, and yet we cannot see blue & brown at picture 2, apart from the original (1/3) flex.

Examining enlargements doesn't explain the situation to us, sorry. Are there any more pictures from the time you dismantled it?
arco_iris

Post by arco_iris »

Seeing OP's comment preceeding my post, no way should it be worth a £ton to fix a basic diy issue. A meter would help, you can get one for less than a tenner from screwfix, then this forum will help you fix it.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

arco_iris wrote:Seeing OP's comment preceeding my post, no way should it be worth a £ton to fix a basic diy issue.
You not worked in London then?
I am NOT standing for any one in particular, but unless the spark is next door, he is going to have to travel, then find a parking space and pay parking, then carry his kit to site, and back again it all takes time, £100 is not that bad.

But I do agree with you about a meter, but people often think its easier than it is, and all lights only have 1 cable :lol: and the OP wants it fixed ASAP as the other lights in the house now don't work
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
arco_iris

Post by arco_iris »

someone-else wrote:You not worked in London then?
I am NOT standing for any one in particular, but unless the spark is next door, he is going to have to travel, then find a parking space and pay parking, then carry his kit to site, and back again it all takes time, £100 is not that bad.
I am not going to get into an argument/spat with you, but

(a) as a (sort of) "buy-to-let" investor with a high degree of diy skills, my qualified & pedantic "that doesn't comply with current regulations" electrician charges £100 - A DAY, (the odd job, forty quid) and apart from not having the ticket, I can do everything he does.

(b) as you and I both know, it is not rocket-science. Whilst I concur, and can see, that many are afraid/unaware, (i) if OP has some more pictures the answer is simple (ii) if he spends a tenner on a meter, YOU, wine~o or only-me will tell him how to sort it out. For no more expense.

(c) I would be the first (having been in other business) to say that tradesmen are fully entitled to charge for their services. But sometimes the issue is so basic that a tradesman couldn't be bothered, and that's where UHM members help the uninitiated.

If gloom had a voice, it would be you.

Nuff said.
Kev888

Post by Kev888 »

Ar1a wrote:My apology for lack of knowledge, can you please tell me what information i meed to provide and i can do that
There are three cables in the ceiling, we can be pretty sure of their function but need to identify which cable is which, or at least find which one goes to the switch. Unfortunately they aren't marked and we don't know how they were originally connected, which is why I asked if you had a test meter of any kind. Though if not then a cheap one could be bought, or other methods could be used to test.
Kev
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Summat ain't right there. Pic of the rose doesn't seem to have the 3rd grey cable attached...

@OP the wires at the switch are lived/switched live and earth.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Kev888

Post by Kev888 »

Hmm, you may be right there. I can see three sheathed earths, but now you mention it cannot see any brown or blue wires apart from the pendant flex. I suppose they could, just about, be hidden by other stuff.. but maybe not.

edit: I think the rose and rose-removed pictures are taken from different angles, the grey one could perhaps be towards the back of the rose?
Kev
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

arco_iris wrote: (a) as a (sort of) "buy-to-let" investor with a high degree of diy skills, my qualified & pedantic "that doesn't comply with current regulations" electrician charges £100 - A DAY, (the odd job, forty quid) and apart from not having the ticket, I can do everything he does.
£224 +VAT a day for our firm in Yorkshire. Odd jobs are charged with a minimum of half an hour (so £14 +VAT) but will occur travel time unless the customer is prepared to wait until we are passing.

eg

1. Swapping of an outside lamp that takes 10-20 minutes to swap will be charged at 30 minutes plus parts even if the job is half an hours drive away from the office AND the customer is prepared to wait until someone is working in that area on a different job.

2. No power and we need you ASAP is charged at £28 +VAT per hour from the moment you set off to the job until you finish.

Return to “Electric Forum UK”