Problems over felting a flat roof.

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

Moderator: Moderators

blackvenom

Problems over felting a flat roof.

Post by blackvenom »

Hi Folks.

Around 6 months ago I asked a chap for a quote to fix a leaky garage roof. He suggested to over felt it with torch on felt (to keep the cost down) yet to this day the roof still leaks in places. The chap that did the work has been back and applied some more lengths of felt above where the leaks appear to be coming from yet it doesn't seem to have made it any better.

We are due to move house soon and he is now asking to come back again and try and fix the problem however its likely that we will have moved before this can happen. No monies have been paid yet and the guy obviously wants to get paid however the work that has been done so far is substandard.

What are your thoughts?
Mrwood777
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Re: Problems over felting a flat roof.

Post by Mrwood777 »

Hi, I’m pretty sure you’re obliged to inform your buyer (as you are aware of the issue), but it sounds relatively minor as it’s in the garage so it’s your call.

Obviously the tradesman needs to be paid before you move or have it resolved another way.

Have you been up on the roof and inspected the area around the leak? It’s possible that the water is running down the woodwork so the point of origin may be somewhere else, that’s what happened on my flat roof.

Good luck
blackvenom

Post by blackvenom »

Mrwood777 wrote:Hi, I’m pretty sure you’re obliged to inform your buyer (as you are aware of the issue), but it sounds relatively minor as it’s in the garage so it’s your call.

Obviously the tradesman needs to be paid before you move or have it resolved another way.

Have you been up on the roof and inspected the area around the leak? It’s possible that the water is running down the woodwork so the point of origin may be somewhere else, that’s what happened on my flat roof.

Good luck
Thanks for your reply. The issue has been apparent on all viewings so there shouldn't be any issues there. There area on the roof above where the leak seems to be looks to be sealed, however the water pools in that section on the roof so it would have plenty of time to find it's route through.
cotswold builders
BANNED

Post by cotswold builders »

Over felting doesn't work very well, ie it wont stick on a dusty roof, hence we strip all existing of.
fin

Post by fin »

torch on felt is just a bodge. if a flat roof is leaking its goosed. patching it will only delay the inevitable.

epdm roofing is much better than felt if its done well.

Return to “Damp Proofing and Remedial problems”