House names

This forum is for topics or posts that do not fit into any other forum, this includes online games such as word Association etc.

Moderator: Moderators

kellys_eye

House names

Post by kellys_eye »

Pretentious or what?

I say this as a house holder that lives in a property with a name too :lol: :roll:

We send a lot of goods to home addresses and the Welsh are the worst for getting the address right - often resulting in us throwing the keyboard on the office floor and using the random characters that result as the details would be a more accurate result.....

Our own home name HAS to be spelled out to any that ask (I won't post it as it makes our place too easily identified) but I'm considering a change due to various circumstances:

so how does "Dunnmabackin" sound :lol:

Anyone else suffer from 'pretentious house name syndrome'?
Don't take it personally......
Dave54

Re: House names

Post by Dave54 »

We changed the name of this place when we came here.
Quite a pain. You have to ask the post office if you can change it, to make sure nobody near has the same name.
Nobody'll be able to find you. And people will still say "Oh you mean Firkham Hall" or whatever when you tell them where you live
Didn't seem to stop them letting some builder use the same name for a new place in a village near here either, causing all sorts of problems.
We actually have a house number as well. I didn't know until years after we came here and I contacted the PO about some confusion over postcodes. Apparently some rural places do. It's never been used.

Really though I don't give a flying whatsit. :-)
House names are a bit pretentious though if not needed IMHO.
The 30s semi we had in the Midlands had a name. We never used it.
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

I don't think that mine's that pretentious and I didn't name it anyway, there was a home-made plaque on the wall when we bought the place, (those nasty little chrome letters screwed to a piece of wood).

I've since replaced that with my own ceramic version, same name though, and it's reasonably apt if you knew my garden.
49.jpg
49.jpg (297.71 KiB) Viewed 2286 times
One day it will all be firewood.
dandan

Post by dandan »

Our house has a name and no number, the whole street is the same.

When ordering a takeaway or a taxi on the phone I often get somebody thinking I am being pretentious by using a name and not a number. When I give them the name, they keep asking for the number despite being told there isn't one. In the end I tell them its number 13 only for them to look on the system and tell me there is no number 13, only house names... :scratch:
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

Our house isn't in a 'street' (it's on a 25 mile long single track road) yet 90% of the properties around us are 'named' - all of them in the Gaelic fashion and no-one uses the same version of pronunciation twice! We're always getting people stopping and asking "can you direct us to gheadireh" (or some such unpronounceable) and it takes us ages to decipher where they actually mean :lol:

Fortunately property separation makes this less of an issue (our nearest neighbour is 400m one way and 1 MILE the other).

I wonder if the American way wouldn't be simpler i.e. house numbers by the distance they are from the start of the road. We'd be number 52,800 (around 10 miles, in feet! - I think that's the American way?)
Don't take it personally......
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Guilty as charged!
I named my house Redgate Corner.......it's red brick, situated in the corner of a cul-de-sac, and outside is at the start of an ancient pathway so a gateway to the village.
But really it's because Redgate Corner is my favourite bit of Donington Park circuit, where I have done a few motorcycle trackdays.
Cantseeitfrommyhouse

Post by Cantseeitfrommyhouse »

kellys_eye wrote:Our house isn't in a 'street' (it's on a 25 mile long single track road) yet 90% of the properties around us are 'named' - all of them in the Gaelic fashion and no-one uses the same version of pronunciation twice! We're always getting people stopping and asking "can you direct us to gheadireh" (or some such unpronounceable) and it takes us ages to decipher where they actually mean :lol:

Fortunately property separation makes this less of an issue (our nearest neighbour is 400m one way and 1 MILE the other).

I wonder if the American way wouldn't be simpler i.e. house numbers by the distance they are from the start of the road. We'd be number 52,800 (around 10 miles, in feet! - I think that's the American way?)
"I'm looking for Gonorrhea" :lol: :lol: :huray:
arco_iris

Post by arco_iris »

I live on the outskirts of a village of 400 households, apart from a newer developments built up side roads, all the original houses have names only and village postman knows them all. (And who lives there).

We bought a (named) holiday cottage & (unnamed) barn next to the pub last year, and because this had previously been part of an old farm, the cottage was called "Xxxx Cottage" and it is hidden down a track behind "Xxxx Farmhouse". So to differentiate we thought to change its name.

Downloaded a form of the local authority's website, sent them a cheque and they supposedly sorted it with Royal Mail & all utility companies.

The PAF entry changed virtually instantly, though nobody told postie; can order stuff online for delivery no problem. But BT won't recognise the new address to organise a phone line. They said, book it at the old address then change it with us later.
These users thanked the author arco_iris for the post:
Dave54
Rating: 7.14%
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

not a name as such
years ago my dad was a fireman on the steam then diesels at haymarket edinburgh
he was on a special train removing some off the infrastructure from the closed cobbinshaw station and "borrowed "a scottish region hotdog sign from the platform this sort
http://www.offtherailsonline.com/image/ ... atdyke.jpg
years later after moving to redhill in surrey to get his job as a driver he painted the house white and the railings out the front blue we decided the cobbinshaw would look nice and be a talking point hanging in the arch above the front door :huray:
we are all ------------------still learning

Return to “The Lounge”