Table saw for under £100

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

Steveohim
Been thanked: 0

Table saw for under £100

Post by Steveohim »

Hi what’s the best table saw for under £100 I want it for occasional diy work?
Bob225

Re: Table saw for under £100

Post by Bob225 »

£100 is going to get you a rip saw (rough cut), if you want something with a little finesse then up your budget

I have a 10" sip table saw, Its fine for ripping down timber to size then plaining/sanding it and expectable for garden/outdoor projects where aa bit of roughness doesn't matter

Changing blades does help matters but there anything from £20-50 on the lower end
Manc chippy

Post by Manc chippy »

Any table saw worth that price would have a terrible fence and would make your cut worthless.
If you really insist on spending that money and want a new saw as opposed to a second hand one then I would advise you to look into getting the Parker brand table saw.
columbiers
Newly registered Member

Post by columbiers »

There is absolutely nothing new for £100 worth buying, complete waste of money. I would also say unless you snag a real bargain on ebay £100 is not enough for anything decent second hand either.

For "occasional DIY" invest in a good circular saw, straight edge and some clamps. Much better results and you'll do it for well under £100.
Or a track saw- the Titan is good at that money.
DIY_Johnny
Mr. Grumpy

Post by DIY_Johnny »

columbiers wrote:There is absolutely nothing new for £100 worth buying, complete waste of money. I would also say unless you snag a real bargain on ebay £100 is not enough for anything decent second hand either.

For "occasional DIY" invest in a good circular saw, straight edge and some clamps. Much better results and you'll do it for well under £100.
Titan is good bang for buck no doubt but can be very hit or miss. I think it depends on the individual item. I had a drill that lasted 2 hours and others that lasted years.
columbiers
Newly registered Member

Post by columbiers »

DIY_Johnny wrote: Titan is good bang for buck no doubt but can be very hit or miss. I think it depends on the individual item. I had a drill that lasted 2 hours and others that lasted years.
Definitely. I've always found Screwfix excellent with returns though so no real worries.
Titan tracksaw I found excellent for the money, only heard good things about it from others. It's not a TS55, but then again it's £100. Not tried a Titan drill.

Tracksaw much more useful for occasional DIY than a table saw,especially an inaccurate, poorly made table saw,which is all you'd get for £100
DIY_Johnny
Mr. Grumpy

Post by DIY_Johnny »

Yeah no question on value for more with Titan. i think with these cheaper tools some are a great buy and some although may not break are just not fit for purpose especially with more complex machinee like table saw sliding miter saws.

Problem is hard to justify laying out several hundred for a single item when your a DIYer. I have a cheap tile saw and although it did the job (with a lot of wasted badly cut floor tiles) I got there in the end. The guard was flimsy, screws threads rounded, guide too much play (plastic), stupid vibration and after a few weeks it rusted. End of the day it paid for itself and far cheaper than a tiler.

I think Titan and these cheapo tools manufacturers would be better served making two ranges a bit like BOSCH (Skil (now sold) , greer and blue). I kind of regret buying my sliding miter saw now. The Titan is £95 for a single bevel, £210mm blade and £310 length cut, but equivalent for a Dewalt and Bosch are near the £350 mark and Makita £400. If Titan made a £100 one and a £200 one I would go for the better one. However a big issue being that nearly all Titan products have no replaceable parts
Steveohim

Post by Steveohim »

columbiers wrote:There is absolutely nothing new for £100 worth buying, complete waste of money. I would also say unless you snag a real bargain on ebay £100 is not enough for anything decent second hand either.

I’ve got a good circular saw and clamps but sometimes I’ve needed to split thin bits of wood down the centre. Would would you recommend for that?
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

what are you making ? How thin do you want to cut ?
columbiers
Newly registered Member

Post by columbiers »

Steveohim wrote:
I’ve got a good circular saw and clamps but sometimes I’ve needed to split thin bits of wood down the centre. Would would you recommend for that?
Depends how thin,what for and more importantly how accurate? If you need accurate, repeatable cuts then a sub £100 table saw won't do it. If it's just rough work and accuracy isn't needed then it would be OK, although I find a bandsaw to be of more general use.

Although I'm not usually a big H&S whinger personally when you start talking about thin cuts of thin wood with a table saw I do have safety concerns- there's safer tools to make such cuts.

Table saws can be useful but it really depends on the work you're doing- for a lot of people other tools are more suitable.
Steveohim

Post by Steveohim »

columbiers wrote:
Steveohim wrote:
Depends how thin,what for and more importantly how accurate? If you need accurate, repeatable cuts then a sub £100 table saw won't do it. If it's just rough work and accuracy isn't needed then it would be OK, although I find a bandsaw to be of more general use.

Although I'm not usually a big H&S whinger personally when you start talking about thin cuts of thin wood with a table saw I do have safety concerns- there's safer tools to make such cuts.

Table saws can be useful but it really depends on the work you're doing- for a lot of people other tools are more suitable.
I’ve just been watching videos on plunge track saws, they look pretty good
columbiers
Newly registered Member

Post by columbiers »

They're excellent. But again depending on what you want to do. Certainly I find mine is used much more than table saw.

For £100 I wouldn't look at anything but the Titan at Screwfix, excellent kit for the money.For DIY it's pound for pound the best buy out there.
ruefondary
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by ruefondary »

Parkside might also be an option (depending on what is on sale at Lidl). They sometimes offer a track saw with 2 700mm rails and a 3 year warranty for around £70 (2017 price IIRC).

It has been discussed here: topic79694.html

It's no Festool or Mafell, but is on par with the other entry level models, and its rails are compatible with Festool's

Return to “Tool Talk”