Redoing the House

This is where you can post pictures of work that you have done. Tradesmen and DIY pictures are all welcome. Please only post pictures of work that you have done personally. Thanks

Moderator: Moderators

Rossl1985
Newly registered Member

Redoing the House

Post by Rossl1985 »

well i spent quite a bit of time sat at the computer working on sketchup building a plan of the whole house, up stairs and down. So that once i had an idea in my head of what i wanted to use that room for and colours etc i could try it out on the plan moving things about and also work out what size bed worked best in each bedroom, find a nice layout for the kitchen etc.

Down stairs floor plan including garden but not including driveway yet
front view of house
Rear view of house
the shed in the sketchup images is not real as yet (need to look into planning a bit more to work out if i am able to make something that size without the hassle of planning permission, i know it would only be able to be 2.5 meters high due to how close it would be to next door)

sketchup design of the current room im now working on, located at the front of the house and to be used as the home office/games room
this is the right hand side wall of the room (external wall) and this will be the main wall that will house two PCs, two 27" monitors, one 32" tv and seating for two people as shown in the sketchup layout below
opposite wall, left hand side wall internal wall between new office/games room and hallway, this will be home to two printers and some storage as shown in sketchup layout below
back wall of room is an internal wall between new office and the kitchen (this wall used to be the front of the house before the extension was put on in 1985) this wall will be plain with nothing on it
the last wall of this room is the front external wall (now the front of the house after the extension was put on) and will be plain apart from the radiator and window

progress in the office so far has pretty much been chasing out walls for cabling, putting the radiator pipe work in the wall as it looked ugly and went against the theme for the room, pulling the old ceiling down and adding 50mm acoustic sound proofing/insulation and then double boarding the ceiling afterwards, that is pretty much the progress in there to date. tomorrow and the weekend i hope to get the chasing in all filled back in and the two walls and ceiling plastered again ready for decorating.

main wall in the room where the computers and seating area will be
front wall with pipe work chased in wall and floor
wall that will house the two printers (sorry for the stuff in front of this wall i shall try to get a better shot of it)
ceiling double board (not the best photo due to the light)

in total the is 12 CAT 6 cables running into this room from the garage where the server rack will be located
there is 5 single (1 gang) sockets and 4 double (2 gang) sockets in the room but none of which are out on display when the desk and printer cabinets are in place keeping with the clean look i wanted for the room.

CAT Cable are as follows incase anyone is interested but in no order

1: - HDMI over CAT 6 bring signal in over a network from the sky box in living room
2: - HDMI over CAT 6 bring CCTV video signal in to 32" TV
3 and 4: - 2 x 10 gigabit ethernet to PC 1
5 and 6: - 2 x 10 gigabit ethernet to PC 2
7: - internet connection for 32" smart tv
8: - printer 1
9: - printer 2
10: - usb extension for CCTV - so you can control it from in the office rather than going out to the garage where the CCTV will be located (makes it more of a headless system)
11: - this will be a ethernet connection for setting up and controlling the server
12: - this will be a USB extension or ethernet for controlling the NAS (network attached storage). the NAS will also run Plex server and be able to broadcast live HD TV around the house as well as record TV

i wanted two 10 gigabit runs to each computer for transferring large files to and from the NAS and for working off the server or transferring large files to the server, i have/will have a fairly large home network once its completed but the two computers in the office will be the only hardware able to run 10 gigabit ethernet the rest will be 1 gigabit or 5 gigabit and at this point in time i plan on running no wireless around the house due to every room having at least one network port for internet and one HD video network port but i will show more on my network setup when the time comes to install the final parts of it, making it all live
Rossl1985
Newly registered Member

Re: Redoing the House

Post by Rossl1985 »

little more progress on the office now, bonding is now pretty much done and the room is almost ready to plaster which im hoping to get done tomorrow.

Bedroom 5, finished bar downlights and glossing the skirting boards and building a wardrobe in the space the old wardrobe is in now (i will add i never painted this room and im not to happy with the cutting in of the purple)
any advice on making this space into a wardrobe would be great and sorry for the mess its become a bit of a store room at the moment

Hallway finished baring flooring and skirting boards but this wont get done till the office is finished up as i dont want plaster and mess on the new flooring
view from front door back into the house, door on the left is the kitchen door, door on the right is the downstairs toilet door and the door in front of you is the living door with the stairs just off to right before this door
view from living room door towards from of house, office will be the last door on the right hand side before the front door,

bathroom
this room just need tiles and a final coating of gloss

sorry for the dust in the rooms but its a never ending task at the moment to get rid of it what with doing other rooms in the house.
Rossl1985
Newly registered Member

Post by Rossl1985 »

Made a start on plastering the office
sorry the photos are not the best the light in there at night is a nightmare for photos. just the hardest wall and some bonding to go now
Rossl1985
Newly registered Member

Post by Rossl1985 »

well made a start on doing the garage ceiling yesterday, removed all the old plasterboard and put in some 100mm Knauf earthwool insulation and re-boarded the back half of the garage ceiling. also put some insulation around the soil pipe (just to try and stop any the draft) and boarded that over again

also found this surprise under the plasterboard of the ceiling
ceiling insulated
insulation around soil pipe
ceiling boarded up again, waiting on junction box to sort out the electrics for light but should get one later today to fix that issue tomorrow along with the other electrics that need doing in the garage. the shelf the pump is on and the shelf that the internet stuff is on is all temporary as that back wall will be getting a stud work frame and insulation next week so it will all have to come down again
soil pipe covered over again, need to add a little bit of plaster to the lower part once the rubbish has gone from the garage

Return to “Show Case Gallery”