New radiator pipe issue, potential issue?

Questions about central heating and boiler questions in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

MikeMJD
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

New radiator pipe issue, potential issue?

Post by MikeMJD »

Hi everyone,

After doing some decorating recently I decided to replace a rusty radiator.

Now the radiator is fitted, I’ve noticed some things that are making me feel uneasy. I’m not sure if it’s due to the radiator being slightly wider, or the fitting on the pipe has always been slightly crooked. I’ve attached some images, as you can see the ‘up/down’ pipe isn’t completely straight, but the fitting which joints to radiator valve is.

Is this a potential risk for a burst pipe/leak?

Thanks for the help.
Attachments
IMG_1152.jpg
IMG_1152.jpg (110.58 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
IMG_1151.jpg
IMG_1151.jpg (113.95 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
DIY_Johnny
Mr. Grumpy

Re: New radiator pipe issue, potential issue?

Post by DIY_Johnny »

I wouldn't worry, the joint is a compression joint which means that an internal brass ring is compressed tight in the pipe by the bottom nut to create a water seal, If there was an issue there would be a tiny bit of water seeping out (called weeping). These things don't go suddenly and flood everywhere.

Unless the pipe had a noticeable kink in it I wouldn't have any concerns at all (apart from the looks)
MikeMJD
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Re: New radiator pipe issue, potential issue?

Post by MikeMJD »

DIY_Johnny wrote:I wouldn't worry, the joint is a compression joint which means that an internal brass ring is compressed tight in the pipe by the bottom nut to create a water seal, If there was an issue there would be a tiny bit of water seeping out (called weeping). These things don't go suddenly and flood everywhere.

Unless the pipe had a noticeable kink in it I wouldn't have any concerns at all (apart from the looks)
Thanks for the reassurance Johnny, it's leak free after 24 hours so I'm now content it's a job 'well' done :wink:

Return to “Central Heating & Boilers”