Moderator: Moderators

Javidr
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Color matching advise

Post by Javidr »

Hi! Let me introduce myself. My name is Javi and I have just bought a house

The main bedroom wall has some damage as there was a tv mount rack installed there, so I have to repaint that bit

I have taken a sample of the painting and I have handed it to b&q to do the color match but... it doesn’t match at all. The color they have given me is too light

Which advise can you give me to try to match a color in the wall? The only information I have is that the brand is dulux and that’s all...

Thanks
OchAye

Re: Color matching advise

Post by OchAye »

:welcomeuhm:

Unless the room is recently decorated (say one or two months ago) even if you had the same paint that was used you would not be able to just patch where the TV was. It is most likely that the room was decorated a long time ago and that is why you see a patch of different colour where the TV was. Rooms get dirty over time and for example, it will be dirtier above the TV than below.

You have a slim chance that if you wash down the wall (use sugar soap and warm water, and rinse afterwards) the wall will clean up and be one colour. But if you wash down the wall, it is also possible that you may wash off the emulsion so no heavy/prolonged rubbing. Your alternative is to paint the whole wall which you may have to do if the wash goes wrong ... or hung a picture there for now, and wait for better weather and redecorate the whole room. The latter would be my choice.
Have Brush Will Travel

Post by Have Brush Will Travel »

Go to a Dulux trade centre, tell them the name of the original paint and they will match it

Dont try to touch up a small patch, paint the whoile wall and cut it in to the existing wales
I intend to live forever......So far, so good
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

My advice would be don't even try to colour match... just recoat in your preferred colour.
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”