What is wrong with this kitchen floor?

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

Moderator: Moderators

rob22888
Newly registered Member

What is wrong with this kitchen floor?

Post by rob22888 »

This kitchen floor had vinyl over it for years, upon removing the vinyl we found a right mess. The floor was damp under the lino and where appliances had been, this all dried out when the floor was left exposed.

What I’m trying to figure out is what exactly I have on my hands here. Obviously there is some screed failure as a result of the moisture, plus also some hollow patches around the edges and two substantial concrete patches I can’t think were a repair for. The floor has asphalt on it, I reckon laid straight over the original flagstones? It’s a Victorian property with solid floors and no DPC.

Any insight?
wes56

Re: What is wrong with this kitchen floor?

Post by wes56 »

to do the job propely you will have to remove the skirtings andlift all the floor coverings and dig out to a worked out depth for a membrane.then lay insulation and then a concrete pour to the needed height.
use edge insulation as well.

if the flagstones are in good nick then reuse them as your finished floor.
your benchmark for your ffl is the threshold to the next room eg. the dining room.
These users thanked the author wes56 for the post:
rob22888
Rating: 7.14%
rob22888
Newly registered Member

Post by rob22888 »

Thanks, that is the way I was thinking although I didn't think of insulation. If there are good flagstones under there i'd probably flog them to recoup some costs as the Mrs wants laminate...

The rest of my ground floor is asphalted and all in good nick, I did have one person suggest to just do a bit of digging in the kitchen and then get the asphalters in as apparantly that would get it all nice & level.

What I can't understand is how the kitchen floor has got in such a state compared to the rest of the ground floor. :dunno:
Cantseeitfrommyhouse

Post by Cantseeitfrommyhouse »

Leaking dishwasher/WM?
wes56

Post by wes56 »

its prob coming up from below. if the surface is lower than outside ground then it could be coming from outside. youl have to have a look at the kitchen walls at skirting level for damp.
can you post a photo of the outside wallss.
rob22888
Newly registered Member

Post by rob22888 »

The ground level outside is a good two steps down from the kitchen, so ground level isn't an issue. The wall is however cement rendered & caked in plastic masonry paint right down to ground level and in need of a re-render (hairline cracks and some holes) which I am looking to have done with lime.

Return to “Damp Proofing and Remedial problems”