Shower Screen (Shower over the bath type) Seal replacement

plumbing, drainage and waste water questions here please

Moderator: Moderators

Duck_Tape

Shower Screen (Shower over the bath type) Seal replacement

Post by Duck_Tape »

Hi Everyone
I have a metal (or plastic coated to look like metal) framed glass shower screen which sits on the edge of the bath where the seal that runs along the length of the bottom of the screen has perished beyond belief. I am not familiar with this type of screen.

Can the seal along the bottom be replaced?
If yes, how do you get the old seal off and the new seal on?
If no, whats the best option?

1 New screen to match the original and hang it on the existing wall fixing (less damage to tiles as no need to remove the existing fixings) but the new screen could get just as perished in a few years and it becomes a problem again.

2 Bin the lot and buy a new screen with new wall bracket (the type that has the seal just pushed on to the edge of the glass)

like this

and hope the new wall bracket re-uses the existing screw holes from the old bracket or covers them over.

To be honest, I just looked at the price of a new screen, I didn't expect to find one below £100 so that one I added in the link seems a good bet unless replacing the seal on the original screen is easy and cheap.

I may have answered my own question :withstupid: :dunno:

Plumbing forum may not be the best place for this post but as its a bathroom I selected it, Mod's, please keep me right on that, and move the post to the forum you feel is better suited should I have gotten it wrong. :scratch:

Thanks James
Attachments
20180207_133439.jpg
20180207_133439.jpg (146.41 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
20180207_133501.jpg
20180207_133501.jpg (161.99 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
20180207_133429.jpg
20180207_133429.jpg (247.46 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
20180207_133420.jpg
20180207_133420.jpg (184.29 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
I love hard work, I could watch it all day
aeromech3

Re: Shower Screen (Shower over the bath type) Seal replaceme

Post by aeromech3 »

It almost looks like the bulb section used in window cleaning squeegee!
windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk
Duck_Tape

Post by Duck_Tape »

I am just going to get the new screen as mentioned above, it seems inexpensive compared to other retailers, I just hope the quality isn't shocking
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

You really need not go to the expense of fitting a door as the seal is easily replaced as they slide into the channel. You do not necessarily have to go for the same profile as long as it fits the channel in the door it will work see https://www.divapor.com/spares/showers/ ... -seals.php

DWD
Duck_Tape

Post by Duck_Tape »

Thanks DWD
I didn't do what you said, I went my own way and bought the new screen thinking It’s nice and new and clean and can fit into the wall bracket of the old screen with minimum fuss.

Did it all go smoothly, no it did not.

From the old bracket not being hung plum straight (I didn't think to check first) I needed to rake out some tile grout to get the bracket to hang correctly. I removed all but the top fixing screw on the bracket to allow it to be pushed out of the way to do this.
In doing so it got bent when the tenant opened the bathroom door to ask if I wanted a coffee. Good job I still have the new bracket.

I got the new bracket on the wall nice and neat and plum and got the screen positioned for drilling the piolets for the fixing screws only to break the only drill bit I had with me in the correct size, then losing some of the supplied screws down a gap between the bath panel and the floor and a few other annoyances that had me round trip it to my place to pick up drill bits and screws.

I made it all function as expected and look nice in the end but it was a pain in the ass.

I had no idea how to swap out the seal on the old screen but once it was off the wall it became clear. You need to feed it in from the side that goes into the bracket.

So I learned a few things

Don’t rush the drilling because time is slipping away, you will break the drill bit if the drill bit is 2mm or less.

Check existing fittings first to ensure they meet requirements.

Tell people not to enter a room you are working on till you say it’s okay to do so.

All done
These users thanked the author Duck_Tape for the post:
dewaltdisney
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “Plumbing Forum”