A Hospital question

This forum is for topics or posts that do not fit into any other forum, this includes online games such as word Association etc.

Moderator: Moderators

ayjay

A Hospital question

Post by ayjay »

Someone on here probably works in a hospital, so hopefully they'll know the answer.

Is there a standard procedure for what happens to a patients clothes when they're admitted?

My wife went to A&E in an ambulance on Saturday and was admitted as an in-patient, she was wearing, knickers, bra, vest, skirt, a jumper and a fleece jacket. Apart from the vest (which was removed at a later time than the rest) and is in the bedside cabinet there the rest of them have disappeared, initial inquiries as to their whereabouts have proved fruitless, (I haven't asked anyone yet, I've left it to her, but I don't think that's working too well).

She's OK before anyone asks, just fell off her perch again and couldn't get herself into a position where I could lift her, she also complained about pain in her hip and shoulder so the medics decided that X-rays were needed.
One day it will all be firewood.
Bob225

Re: A Hospital question

Post by Bob225 »

It usually gets bagged - A&E stuffed in lost property when getting the bay ready or it went under the bed when/if she was transferred to a ward, ask the at the porters desk (or info desk) failing that speak to the PALS office

I have spent too much time in hospitals in the last 15-20 years
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Thanks Bob,that's given me some ideas at least.

I'll have to try and get some better info from the wife, but her memory is not working much better than her legs.

Doesn't really sound like there is much of a system though for something that must happen several times a day. :scratch:
Nos

Post by Nos »

They should have been all put in a paper or plastic bag with your wife's name on and either put on top of the trolley or underneath then put into her cabinet at the side of her bed. The nurses should know, or be able to help you. Nos
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Nos wrote:They should have been all put in a paper or plastic bag with your wife's name on and either put on top of the trolley or underneath then put into her cabinet at the side of her bed. The nurses should know, or be able to help you. Nos
Yes, that actually sounds like a sensible system, unfortunately it doesn't appear to have happened, the two nurses we asked on Sunday were clueless as to the items possible whereabouts.

She was moved to a different ward yesterday evening and this morning I've managed to set one of the nurses there off on a hunt for them, (I think).
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Got most of them back this morning, just the undies missing. :shock:

I went to see the Patient Support Unit and let them handle it.

There is no *Lost Property* department but the lady at the PSU phoned me while I was with my wife and said go to A&E reception and ask to see the Housekeeper and she has some bags of clothes.

One bag was looking good except that it said it contained black trousers, I described more fully the other items which all matched perfectly and when she looked in the bag the "trousers" were in fact the missing skirt.

It's a bloody long walk from the car park to PSU and then to the ward and then to A&E and back to the car park, I was beginning to think I might need admitting myself!
joinerjohn

Post by joinerjohn »

Patients admitted to our ward have every personal item listed on an admission sheet. Obviously clothing they have that has been bagged up for their relatives to launder at home, are just listed as "laundry". Surprising what they manage to lose whilst they are an in patient though. Dentures, hearing aids, glasses. Some insist on wearing their hearing aids whilst asleep. Others even wear their glasses. We've had a few patients who have "nicked" other patients clothes too. Sat there wearing Doris's favourite jumper when Doris's relatives come in. One patient even went to anothers locker and downed a whole bottle of shower gel/ shampoo before we could stop him. (came back nice and clean from A&E though) :lol: :lol:
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

ah glad you got it sorted

I wasn't far off the mark then with......

"It usually gets bagged - A&E stuffed in lost property when getting the bay ready" - lost property being the cleaners cupboard

my granddad lost his teeth in the nursing home once, we never did find them (he had Alzheimer's sadly) he had a pot plant go missing to, That grew legs and walked - 6-7 month later we found it planted in the court yard garden

Return to “The Lounge”