Bathroom Extractor Fan

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

Foxo
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Bathroom Extractor Fan

Post by Foxo »

Hi,

My bathroom currently has the light and extractor fan linked to one another, so to turn the extractor back on I have to turn the light on and off. It's already on its maximum time setting.

So a couple of questions:

Firstly, can they be disconnected from each other, and the fan changed to a pull cord/switch? Reason I ask this is because the main window in the bathroom does not open, but there is a skylight that does (does this count as an opening window?). Or would it contravene building regulations?

Secondly, could they be left connected to one another so every time the light turns on, the fan comes on, but if a fan with a humidistat was installed, it could also come on by itself without me having to intervene and turn the light on?
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Re: Bathroom Extractor Fan

Post by OnlyMe »

I see no reason why they should not be separated from each other as I would consider the skylight an opening window.

You are obviously smart enough to know when to turn the fan on and off - so go for it.

Just one helpful tip for you - use a pull cord with a neon indicator - that way you will know if the fan is turned on or if it's on it's timed overrun.

I would not recommend a humidistat fan.
jg

Post by jg »

Why wouldn't you recommend the humidistat fan.
I'm only asking because I've just replaced the (dead) timer fan in my bathroom with a timer/humidistat one.
I am not a pro.
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

I find that they are a bit random in their controls.
Foxo
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by Foxo »

Thanks OnlyMe, that was my belief on the window but just wanted to check, and is that the case with all humidistat fans?
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

I cannot recommend one that will work well

Each to their own on how they deal with bathroom humidity and smells. I have a separate pull cord for a timed fan in my bathroom.

Return to “Electric Forum UK”