Ogee Matching

Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

AlwaysLearning

Ogee Matching

Post by AlwaysLearning »

So I've some ogee architrave from ~5 years ago and I want to get some more. First lot was supplied by a local joiner, long since packed up and fled the UK to somewhere warmer.

I've had a look about online but not found anything identical yet. I've seen some referred by a pattern number but can't find a list of patterns - hoping I could just look up what I have then search for it by the correct pattern number. Of course, I could just be barking up the wrong tree.
It always takes longer than I thought
Dave54

Re: Ogee Matching

Post by Dave54 »

As far as I know there are no "standard mouldings" as in an exact pattern for any given type. Everyone makes their own version.
The choices are to get the closest match you can find, or to replace the whole lot, or get a set of blades ground for someone to run off a matching batch. That's expensive because of getting the blades ground and the setup cost on the machine.
AlwaysLearning

Post by AlwaysLearning »

Dave54 wrote:As far as I know there are no "standard mouldings" as in an exact pattern for any given type. Everyone makes their own version.
The choices are to get the closest match you can find, or to replace the whole lot,
As I feared. Replacing the lot isn't an option and the closest I've found so far was in MDF which I hate with a passion.
Dave54 wrote:or get a set of blades ground for someone to run off a matching batch. That's expensive because of getting the blades ground and the setup cost on the machine.
Yer, looked into that a few years back on another project. Luckily for the quantity needed, custom profiling didn't work out too extortionate.And it wasn't my wallet either.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Come across this before . Even with a "standard" ogee or any other mouldy the cutters become blunt and are often sharpened or reground and sizes thus change over time . As Dave says you could get blades ground to match but this is expensive. Another option is to get as close a match as possible , remove the exsisting in one room and replace with the new . You then use the removed old stuff to match up with skirting in other areas.
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

I can't understand why you don't like MDF. There's no bleed, no twisting. It's easy to sand and you get a great finish when painted.
mick.mh2racing
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by mick.mh2racing »

I don't line MDF either and it's not much good if you want it stained.

sent using smoke signals
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

mick.mh2racing wrote:I don't line MDF either and it's not much good if you want it stained.

sent using smoke signals
Obviously I'm meant painting it. Why would anyone stain MDF :scratch:
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

I've made up short pieces of replacement moulding in the past by removing the waste in steps with a router, and then planing and sanding to shape. Fiddly, but OK where you need a piece to replace old moulding. Not practical with more than a short piece though.
mick.mh2racing
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by mick.mh2racing »

Argyll wrote:
mick.mh2racing wrote:I don't line MDF either and it's not much good if you want it stained.

sent using smoke signals
Obviously I'm meant painting it. Why would anyone stain MDF :scratch:
Yeah I knew what you meant.

sent using smoke signals
AlwaysLearning

Post by AlwaysLearning »

Argyll wrote:I can't understand why you don't like MDF. There's no bleed, no twisting. It's easy to sand and you get a great finish when painted.
Oh easy. It's got no character, it's top end bland, the dust gets everywhere, it can't take any significant load, screws chew through it and at the slightest sign of moisture and it swells up like popcorn. I could go on.

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”