Any electricians in the house?

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

TorukUK
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Any electricians in the house?

Post by TorukUK »

Hi guys
Got a couple of queries

Firstly, would this work for my video doorbell? (Image 1) Or does the transformer not work like that?

Secondly, how would i go about wiring this 2 gang touch light switch to the wires shown?

Cheers
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (32.41 KiB) Viewed 2854 times
20180119131038_23300.jpg
20180119131038_23300.jpg (119.99 KiB) Viewed 2854 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (142.13 KiB) Viewed 2854 times
Someone-Else

Re: Any electricians in the house?

Post by Someone-Else »

Would have been better if you had of made two posts as the answers will be easier.

The short answer to both questions is no.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

As I already told you, wait and see what comes with your video door bell, and no, you have wired it wrong, there will be some smoke and a funny smell and your chime will constantly be operating.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The light switch you have is 2 gang (has two buttons) The light switch in the picture is 1 gang (has one button) so it is not compatible.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Image 1. Do not do that, you would be wiring it wrong and create a short. The diagram on the transformer (Interesting gadget) gives you a neutral (I think on the left connector) and then three different voltages on the next 3 connectors. To get the chime to work see what voltage it needs, take the live voltage line from the transformer to the push button, from the push button take the other line to the chime and from the chime go back to the neutral of the transformer.

The idea is, when the push button is pressed you complete a circuit and provide power to the chime ... or something like that.

I am more than happy to be corrected.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

As an aside it will be better to wait until this new door bell arrives (Said it for the 3rd time now) because the amount of current it will require is (as yet) unknown, and door bell transformers are known to give very little current at all.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

TorukUK
Newly registered Member

Post by TorukUK »

someone-else wrote:
The short answer to both questions is no.
Are you saying i cant wire that 2 gang 1 way touch switch in place of the old 2 gang 1 way standard switch? :/
someone-else wrote:the amount of current it will require is (as yet) unknown, and door bell transformers are known to give very little current at all.
OchAye wrote:Image 1. Do not do that, you would be wiring it wrong and create a short. The diagram on the transformer (Interesting gadget) gives you a neutral (I think on the left connector) and then three different voltages on the next 3 connectors. To get the chime to work see what voltage it needs, take the live voltage line from the transformer to the push button, from the push button take the other line to the chime and from the chime go back to the neutral of the transformer.

The idea is, when the push button is pressed you complete a circuit and provide power to the chime ... or something like that.

I am more than happy to be corrected.

As shown in the pic, the doorbell push button requires 24v (well, 16-24 vac), but the chime i assume is an 8v chime as it currently runs from an 8v transformer.
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

someone-else wrote: The light switch you have is 2 gang (has two buttons) The light switch in the picture is 1 gang (has one button) so it is not compatible.
I don't see a photo of a one gang switch.

I see a photo of a standard 2 gang switch (both gangs used as one way) and photo of the back of an electronic switch that MAY be a 2 gang switch.

Of course it would help a lot if the OP gave make and model numbers. A quick bit of detective work suggests that the electronic switch may well be a Y602 Chinese cheapo 2 gang switch with a glass front.

Also sold as this

https://www.gearbest.com/power-strips/pp_796620.html
These users thanked the author OnlyMe for the post:
TorukUK
Rating: 7.14%
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

just to simplify it
you need a single wire in a loop
start at the say+ terminal
goes to the bell
then to the bell push
then back to the - terminal
what you have shown is a bell that will work non stop and a bell push that will cause a dead short when pressed
we are all ------------------still learning
TorukUK
Newly registered Member

Post by TorukUK »

OnlyMe wrote:
someone-else wrote: The light switch you have is 2 gang (has two buttons) The light switch in the picture is 1 gang (has one button) so it is not compatible.
I don't see a photo of a one gang switch.

I see a photo of a standard 2 gang switch (both gangs used as one way) and photo of the back of an electronic switch that MAY be a 2 gang switch.

Of course it would help a lot if the OP gave make and model numbers. A quick bit of detective work suggests that the electronic switch may well be a Y602 Chinese cheapo 2 gang switch with a glass front.

Also sold as this

https://www.gearbest.com/power-strips/pp_796620.html
Correct OnlyMe, it is that Sesoo switch :thumbleft:
I already have the 1 gang version in my bedroom and it works great, so wanted a 2 gang one for the kitchen.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Regarding your light switch, it may be the one in the picture is a generic picture, why else does it have nothing in L2, May be best if you asked the place where you are buying it from.

Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Regarding your door bell you are confusing yourself.

Your door bell may well work at 16-24v but if there is not enough current it will not work at all. (which is what I said earlier)

Voltage is the potential difference between two points (Measured in Volts)
Current is what makes the device work (doorbell in your case) it is measured in Amps

You could have a transformer that delivers 1Amp at 24v, equally you could have a transformer that delivers 15Amps at 24v

Just because its 24v does not mean you know how much current is available.

Door bell transformers are well known for delivering a feeble current (its so that in theory it can never catch fire)

Suppose your transformer can supply 250mA at 16v (That's 1/4 of an Amp)
Suppose your new fangled door bell need 500mA (That's half an Amp)

Your door bell will never work because your transformer can not deliver the required amount of current (500mA)

So (Hopefully for the last time) wait till it arrives and see what it needs.

OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

someone-else wrote:Regarding your light switch, it may be the one in the picture is a generic picture, why else does it have nothing in L2, May be best if you asked the place where you are buying it from.
I had a little nosey around on the internet and found that the one gang switches only have terminals in L and L1 and the 3 gangs have all of the terminals populated.
These users thanked the author OnlyMe for the post:
TorukUK
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “Electric Forum UK”