Nail gun nails ?

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
stevewestern
Senior Member
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:20 pm
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Nail gun nails ?

Post by stevewestern » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:44 am

I have a Hitachi finish nailer and have finally got a framing nailer on its way (NT65 and NG90 if it matters)

I have always used Hitachi gas and nails for the finisher, for no reason aside from not knowing what other sort will fit and work well at a decent price.
I've ordered some of FFX's own brand nails and gas to come with the framer but was wondering what you heavy users would suggest as a good brand, and if there are good places to buy?
fin
Senior Member
Posts: 6818
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:49 pm
Location: south tyneside
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 523 times

Re: Nail gun nails ?

Post by fin » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:49 pm

i normally get rawl nails and gas for my makita nailer.

a billion percent avoid champion nails and gas. the gas is geet dorty and stops the gun working and meaning you have to service it regularly and the nails are a bit sh*t too.

i mistakenly bought 90mm ring shank nails once. my makita struggles to sink them. its fine with 90mm smooth though. so maybe they all are the same. passlode nails and gas are super expensive in comparrison
stevewestern
Senior Member
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:20 pm
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: Nail gun nails ?

Post by stevewestern » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:05 pm

fin wrote:i normally get rawl nails and gas for my makita nailer.

a billion percent avoid champion nails and gas. the gas is geet dorty and stops the gun working and meaning you have to service it regularly and the nails are a bit sh*t too.

i mistakenly bought 90mm ring shank nails once. my makita struggles to sink them. its fine with 90mm smooth though. so maybe they all are the same. passlode nails and gas are super expensive in comparrison
Thanks for the reply fin - I've read that the Rawl gas cannister doesn't fit the Hitachi and yes, the Paslode's are SO expensive. I saw Bulldog
claim to fit all makes, but I'd rather pay more and not have problems, so will avoid Champion.

https://www.bulldogfix.com/framing-nail ... Lw_wcB&p=3
User avatar
steviejoiner74
Senior Member
Posts: 8000
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:04 pm
Location: Fife
Has thanked: 747 times
Been thanked: 1616 times

Re: Nail gun nails ?

Post by steviejoiner74 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:34 pm

I use champion nails but bin the gas as I’ve a dewalt nailer. The champion gas is awful in the first fix guns.
2nd fix I either use champion or paslode. Not much difference in price and they both work the same unlike the first fix gas.
I’ve used universal nails and gas for first fix,they come in a plastic container wit orange lid. They are about the best of the generic nails and are about 30 quid a box.
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
stevewestern
Senior Member
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:20 pm
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: Nail gun nails ?

Post by stevewestern » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:28 pm

steviejoiner74 wrote:I use champion nails but bin the gas as I’ve a dewalt nailer. The champion gas is awful in the first fix guns.
2nd fix I either use champion or paslode. Not much difference in price and they both work the same unlike the first fix gas.
I’ve used universal nails and gas for first fix,they come in a plastic container wit orange lid. They are about the best of the generic nails and are about 30 quid a box.
Thanks for that Stevie - where do you get your Universal stuff from ?
User avatar
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie
Posts: 6356
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:27 pm
Location: Lancashire
Has thanked: 629 times
Been thanked: 1477 times

Re: Nail gun nails ?

Post by Job and Knock » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:47 pm

fin wrote:i mistakenly bought 90mm ring shank nails once. my makita struggles to sink them. its fine with 90mm smooth though. so maybe they all are the same. passlode nails and gas are super expensive in comparison
That's the self same problem the older Paslodes had - and why I bought a Senco years ago (because the GT90CH can sink 90mm rings with ease - same model also sold as a Rawl, BTW). Gone over to a deWalt DCN692 2-speed cordless 1st fix in the main and I tend to use DW nails ('coz the main contractor buys 'em), but I've had no issues with Senco, Passlode, Hitachi, Rawl or BeA 1st fix nails in vafrious Passlodes, the Senco or the DW (although I chuck the gas for the DW on account of it being a battery only jobby). Surprised to hear that you think the Hitachi 1st fix won't use Passy gas - the first generation (green/grey) models I used in the past certainly did use the Passy gas (long cannister). Anyway, they all seem much of a muchness IMHO, although as the others say, Champion gas I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole having had one very bad experience with it. As ever keep an eye out for shifty dealers who try to palm you off with out of date gas and keep a spare gas cannister somewhere warm if working outside in the cold weather ("Is that a gun, etc....") together with a known (old) working top (as the snap-on tops are occasionally dud in my experience) and you should be fine
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"Success is 99% failure" - Soichiro Honda
User avatar
steviejoiner74
Senior Member
Posts: 8000
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:04 pm
Location: Fife
Has thanked: 747 times
Been thanked: 1616 times

Re: Nail gun nails ?

Post by steviejoiner74 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:26 pm

stevewestern wrote:
steviejoiner74 wrote:I use champion nails but bin the gas as I’ve a dewalt nailer. The champion gas is awful in the first fix guns.
2nd fix I either use champion or paslode. Not much difference in price and they both work the same unlike the first fix gas.
I’ve used universal nails and gas for first fix,they come in a plastic container wit orange lid. They are about the best of the generic nails and are about 30 quid a box.
Thanks for that Stevie - where do you get your Universal stuff from ?
The local builders merchants(mgm) sell it. It’s handy having them in a plastic tub instead of the cardboard box.
These users thanked the author steviejoiner74 for the post:
stevewestern
Rating: 7.14%
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
stevewestern
Senior Member
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:20 pm
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: Nail gun nails ?

Post by stevewestern » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:27 pm

steviejoiner74 wrote:
stevewestern wrote:
steviejoiner74 wrote: The local builders merchants(mgm) sell it. It’s handy having them in a plastic tub instead of the cardboard box.
Especially when the parcel arrives having had a bit of a rought journey and the cardboard box the nails comes in is broken..
stevewestern
Senior Member
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:20 pm
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: Nail gun nails ?

Post by stevewestern » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:13 pm

Well, first impressions of the Hitachi NR90GC2 are that its a lot heavier than the NT65GB second fix, as are the nails..
Makes the kids behave though !

I got some 90mm and 63mm nails, but will also need a box of 50mm galvanised and am amazed at the difference in cost between the Paslodes which seem to be around £63 plus VAT -

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/pro ... 300-982221

and something like these Firmahold

https://www.amazon.co.uk/50mm-FIRMAHOLD ... 09Z6JX7PN6

Anyone ever tried these, or do I bite the bullet and get the Paslodes ?
User avatar
steviejoiner74
Senior Member
Posts: 8000
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:04 pm
Location: Fife
Has thanked: 747 times
Been thanked: 1616 times

Re: Nail gun nails ?

Post by steviejoiner74 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:59 pm

The nails are all much the same,it’s just the paslode gas is way more reliable. I don’t know anyone that buys 1st fix paslode nails tbh,they are far too expensive.
These users thanked the author steviejoiner74 for the post:
stevewestern
Rating: 7.14%
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
stevewestern
Senior Member
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:20 pm
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: Nail gun nails ?

Post by stevewestern » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:07 pm

steviejoiner74 wrote:The nails are all much the same,it’s just the paslode gas is way more reliable. I don’t know anyone that buys 1st fix paslode nails tbh,they are far too expensive.
Brilliant, many thanks.
fin
Senior Member
Posts: 6818
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:49 pm
Location: south tyneside
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 523 times

Re: Nail gun nails ?

Post by fin » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:58 pm

never had any problems with the rawl gas
stevewestern
Senior Member
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:20 pm
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: Nail gun nails ?

Post by stevewestern » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:15 pm

I've always had problems with gas.
Now I'm buying it too!
User avatar
getthewheelsinline
Senior Member
Posts: 751
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:14 pm
Location: Scotland
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 179 times

Re: Nail gun nails ?

Post by getthewheelsinline » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:13 pm

I paid £41+VAT last week for a box of Paslode 90mm Smooth Galv-Plus Framing Nails for IM360Ci - 2500pk with 2 Gas Fuel Cells from my local fixing supplier. Never had any issues with the genuine nails / gas. Worth shopping around or going in to see any local suppliers.
Post Reply

Return to “Tool Talk”