Economy 7 problem

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

boxedin

Economy 7 problem

Post by boxedin »

Eaton consumer unit (1024x768).jpg
Eaton consumer unit (1024x768).jpg (247.89 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
Hello wonder if anyone can suggest a possible cause of this

Its an economy 7 double element water tank, bottom one being E7, top element being boost thats switched on at night by a Horstmann electronic 7 maxistore timer.
The economy 7 meter is a two number meter with a telemetry unit attached which turns on the E7 electricity and records the usages

In the early hours of the morning when the heater is in operation the RCB on the left hand side of the consumer unit trips and all sockets and lights go off, When I turn the timer off to the emersion heater and turn the rcb back on its ok, and all lights and sockets restored. if I then turn the horstman back on to Timed it trips again.

It heats water for a period of time so doesn't trip immediately that the E7 circuit switches on
Horstman timer keeps time and switches on Boost the upper element ok which seems to be working
Attachments
er tank.jpg
er tank.jpg (378.97 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
Someone-Else

Re: Economy 7 problem

Post by Someone-Else »

I think you mean RCD, but it means the heater or stat has failed, needs a new one. (Ind if you change one.............change them both)
These users thanked the author Someone-Else for the post:
boxedin
Rating: 7.14%
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
boxedin

Re: Economy 7 problem

Post by boxedin »

Yes I did Someone-else, guessed as much, but wasn't sure as it wasn't tripping out straight away the E7 electric was coming on, but after it had been working a while so I was getting some hot water. Many thanks

Return to “Electric Forum UK”