Damaged wooden floor - how can I fix this?

Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

MatMan
Newly registered Member

Damaged wooden floor - how can I fix this?

Post by MatMan »

Hi all,

I have a wooden floor downstairs and one of the knots has broken leaving us with a cavity. See the attached picture. Any ideas as to the best way to fix this? At the moment I'm thinking of a resin or wax but wondered if you had any experience with this?

MM
Attachments
Hole in wooden floor
Hole in wooden floor
laminate-hole.jpg (186.52 KiB) Viewed 2339 times
Grendel

Re: Damaged wooden floor - how can I fix this?

Post by Grendel »

Depends a lot on your skill or how you want it to look and for that matter how big the hole is. Simplest method is to replace the whole or part of the board. Another idea is two pack filler which can be coloured by mixing with stain and then further enhancing a grain pattern by "painting" fine lines with a darker stain using a artists brush. That does take a bit of work to get it to look right but can be invisible if done properly. It may not be suitable for areas that see heavy traffic however. Another method is to splice a piece of timber in. Cutting a splice at an angle to the grain will emphasise grain and blend it into the floor better. One of the hardest problems could very well be finding a matching timber for the splice.
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

I've cut a randomly "amoeba" shaped piece of wood from the same lot of timber, and let it in before now. Similar technique to veneer patching. Fiddly though, and you need scribing gouges to do it really.
I've done what Grendel suggests on occasion as well. Two pack mixed with stain and painting darker stain "grain". Works well.
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Looks a bit big for a wax fill, hard to tell the scale. If it's as big as I think it is then I would be going for a tinted resin fill.
MatMan
Newly registered Member

Post by MatMan »

Thanks for the replies all, really appreciate it.

It's about 1.5" diameter, roughly speaking, so definitely noticeable. I'll have a look into the things you all mentioned but hoping for a quick fix/minimal effort repair job ideally (call me lazy if you like lol)
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Probably the " minimal fix" would be a combination of filler and splice. Cut a piece of matching timber and bed it into place with two pack . Try to ensure the surface of the splice is flush with the surrounding board and certainly not proud as that would then require planing or sanding down which could encroach onto the already finished surfaces. Any excess filler can be carefully scraped without touching the surrounding area and the whole thing given a coat of ( probably coloured ) wax.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

is this floor floating or fixed :dunno:
we are all ------------------still learning

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”