Moderator: Moderators

Tony Irwin
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Telephone wires

Post by Tony Irwin »

TELEPHONE WIRE COLOURS.

I am - hopefully - about to put in another telephone extension in a new office. I have an old set of long since defunct telephone wires, (not connected to any phone, only ending in a telephone junction box), in the next door room an have taken this through to the new office. However the colours on the old junction box have no bearing on the new colours to the new telephone point. Each wire is a single colour.

In another telephone point in the house there is yet another set of colours for the telephone socket! This one has about 8 small wires and all of them are twin coloured.

Does anyone have a comparative colour scheme so that I can match them up, like you have mentioned in regard to old and new wiring cables?
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

Will this help- http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/TELEP ... NSIONS.htm

Can you not check the old junction box and see which old colours are connected to which terminals and then replicate this?
Tony Irwin
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Telephone wires

Post by Tony Irwin »

Since sending the question to you, I have re-read it and have noticed that my description was not as good as it might be. My apologies.

The old junction box is not connected to anything visible, it is just a junction box on the skirting board, it was previously used for a bedroom telephone, many years ago. So the wires going to the old junction box - from, I know not where! - are colour meaningless, because I do not know what is connected at the other end, or indeed where the other end is, it is lost below the floor boards!! I am assuming and hoping that they are connected to the telephone system somewhere.

. However the colours of the wires to the old junction box are; Orange;Green;Blue; Black, The new wires I have connected to the new junction box are: Red;Yellow;Blue; Black, as per another telephone wall socket. It is the correct sequence of connecting old to new I am at a loss about

I hope that helps and thanks for your answer.

Tony IRWIN
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

The old wires should be-

Orange in terminal 6

Green in terminal 3

Blue in terminal 4

Black in terminal 1
mr phone
Communications Expert

Post by mr phone »

It sounds like you have an old BT style coffin box juunction box with a 2-pr cable connected -but the colours are usually blue, orange, green + brown not black.
If you connect your new wires to blue and orange you should liven your new socket - that is if the old set of wires run to the master socket or another socket in your house.
If you still have no joy, it may be best to cut your losses and run a new cable in from a live socket.

Return to “communications and broadband”