Titan Chainsaw (Screwfix) - Review

The Bargain Tool forum. This is for regular members to post about bargain tools. It is not for spammers to post links to tool sites!

Moderator: Moderators

kellys_eye

Titan Chainsaw (Screwfix) - Review

Post by kellys_eye »

Following on from my chainsaw thread, here's a little review of the Titan TTL362 machine as received....

Good bits - sort of.

1. Price. £115. Comes with a second chain AND a free chain. Not sure how long the 'free' chain offer lasts so buy while you can!
2. Arrives fully assembled. Bar and chain are pre-fitted BUT the holding bolts are NOT TIGHTENED. This is so you can adjust the chain tension but I suspect some purchasers may be tempted to fuel the chainsaw up and get it going without going through the necessary checks. Maybe a little red paper tear-off tag cautioning the user would have been appropriate....?
3. Uses standard car oil (10W-30) for the chain lubrication as opposed to 'proper' chain oil (thicker) that's usually more expensive and harder to obtain.
4. Started second pull! I don't know why I'm so surprised but I feel it was a bonus!
5. Cuts through 16" freshly-felled pine trees no bother - new chain of course.... but the motor didn't seem to be too stressed whilst achieving this task so despite the motors 'weedy' specification (only 35cc) it seems capable enough.
6. The motor is mounted on springs - I've seen cheap models that use just rubber vibration mounts.
7. The instruction manual is comprehensive and easily understood - replete with the usual H&S cautions (as appropriate - let's not forget that this tool can kill if misused....) and all the details you need to start, use and service the saw. I just wonder who'll take the time to read it all? I'm what you might call a seasoned chainsaw user (about 50 hours/year for the last 8 years) and I still took the time to read ALL the manual before using it. DO IT.

Mediocre bits.

1. Hardly any extras with it. You get a spanner that fits the chain blade nuts (and spark plug) with an integral screwdriver end to adjust the chain oil feed. There's a spare chain and an instruction book but that's it. No FUEL MIX BOTTLE, no chain file (as I've seen supplied with other saws). The lack of a fuel mix bottle may stump most people - the 40:1 mix ration isn't unusual but can be difficult to get right without a proper measure and a fuel mix bottle is 'pennies' so omitting this seems cheap technique.
2. The oil fill and fuel fill compartments are side-by-side..... I wonder how many people will get the fuel and oil reversed!!!!
3. The instruction book makes mention of the carb idle/mix adjusters which are readily accessible but it requires a special shaped tool that they don't mention or advise where you can get one. I MUST source one as I feel the carb needs a 'tweak' right now.

Bad bits.

The as-mentioned lack of a fuel mix bottle. Seriously..... that was a real 'p*ss-me-off' moment - I've got a couple of them already so it shouldn't have narked me as much as it did but those who buy the saw and find they haven't got one will bitch a bit I reckon.....

Nothing else as yet. I've used the chainsaw for an hour, on and off, cutting around 1 ton of wood (call it 8 or so 10"-16" diameter felled pine trees of some 10 metre lengths into shiftable 1 metre bits) and it didn't falter. Started from warm at the first or second pull and all the above was cut on less than a tank of fuel (only 250ml but about average for the type of machine).

Managed to catch a small stone chip and semi-blunt the new chain already :cussing: which is where a simple file would have come in handy. Fortunately I have loads of them so no big deal PLUS the spare and free chains give you a second go at it!

Overall.

Worth the money? Yes.
Decent enough quality? Yes.
Powerful enough? Yes. (for the average user).
Would I buy another (if I had to)? Yes.
Reliability..... I'll keep you updated :mrgreen:

But.... come on.... a fuel mix bottle would have made a HEAP of difference.
These users thanked the author kellys_eye for the post (total 2):
Dave54Argyll
Rating: 14.29%
Don't take it personally......
dewaltdisney

Re: Titan Chainsaw (Screwfix) - Review

Post by dewaltdisney »

Is it a clone of the McCullough like I thought?

Good review, thanks :thumbright:

DWD
Razor

Post by Razor »

Looks ok :salute:

Does it come with a fuel mixing bottle??
I think I'll take two chickens...
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

dewaltdisney wrote:Is it a clone of the McCullough like I thought?
DWD
No, it's quite different from the MacCulloch but, given chainsaws are what they are there are lot of similarities anyway.

If you can work one chainsaw you can work them all!
Razor wrote:
Does it come with a fuel mixing bottle??
....hang on, let me check.....

:angryfire: :mrgreen:
Don't take it personally......

Return to “Bargain Tools”