Tanking Problems

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

Moderator: Moderators

pcyvcjc1
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Tanking Problems

Post by pcyvcjc1 »

Hi, hope someone can help me...

A few weeks ago I got a builder in to do some home improvement works. As part of this I asked him to fully tank the cellar so I could use it for storage and as a utility room.

He used cementitious slurry to tank the walls and finished the works about 10 weeks ago. After 6 weeks the walls were still not dry and some of the tanking material had bubbled up and started falling off. I called him and he came back round and put another coat on using sika bond which he said would bond it to the walls.

Now the exact same thing has happened again and the tanking slurry is peeling off the walls again!

I moved everything out of the cellar for him to do the works and this has been lying around the rest of my house since then so I am keen to get the problem sorted as soon as possible so I can move around my house again.

I bought a dehumidifier to combat some of the damp in the cellar but it hasn't helped.

Should my builder have used a different type of tanking? Do I have any comeback to get him to do the works to my satisfaction or am I stuck with the problem?

Thanks for your advice.
wes56

Re: Tanking Problems

Post by wes56 »

tanking cellers is sometimes complicated and usuly needs lots more than slurry . your slurry is probly being blown off the walls due to ground water pressure. its hard for slurry to take becaus of salts and stuff on the brickwork surface. sloshing onmore coats of slurry or sika bond wont work.
get your money back because the builder doent now how to do this kind of work.ive tanked cellers only after lots of weighing up the business an using bubble membranes and pumped channelsand usuly for 4 to 8 grand cost
These users thanked the author wes56 for the post:
pcyvcjc1
Rating: 7.14%
Notch1

Re: Tanking Problems

Post by Notch1 »

tanking slurry can resist quite high pressures from water, but the problem is the the water pressure is pushing from the bricks against the back of the tanking. If the bricks were damp or salts on the face of the wall then adhesion is reduced.

The complete solution is using something like oldroyd membrane first.

All basically what wes says above
These users thanked the author Notch1 for the post:
pcyvcjc1
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “Damp Proofing and Remedial problems”