IDNETIFY AND SOLVE THIS PROBLEM? Is it salt or efflorence?

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

Moderator: Moderators

tomtom1983
Newly registered Member

IDNETIFY AND SOLVE THIS PROBLEM? Is it salt or efflorence?

Post by tomtom1983 »

IMG_7767.JPG
IMG_7767.JPG (50.35 KiB) Viewed 4640 times
IMG_7765.JPG
IMG_7765.JPG (45.6 KiB) Viewed 4640 times
IMG_7763.JPG
IMG_7763.JPG (33.4 KiB) Viewed 4640 times
IMG_7767.JPG
IMG_7767.JPG (50.35 KiB) Viewed 4640 times

Hi all!

Ive been recently rep[ainting the house from to bottom front and back and im abouit to finish with the back yard wall. However it appears to be not very happy! Ive tried to research a remedy but end up with too many questions once again! So here I am! Hope you can solve this!

Basically what is it and can I stop it from happening again once its been painted?

Its just a dividing yard wall between terraced houses. Tried to attach as many pics as possible but if you need more please let me know! :-)
Barry_Convex
Newly registered Member

Re: IDNETIFY AND SOLVE THIS PROBLEM? Is it salt or efflorenc

Post by Barry_Convex »

Rising damp pushing the masonry paint off? A garden wall may not have any damp course. Just a first guess...

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Barry_Convex for the post:
tomtom1983
Rating: 7.14%
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

haven't got a clue really
but need to know whats on the other side as the points off Efflorescence as in free air or a build up off material holding damp :dunno:
These users thanked the author big-all for the post:
tomtom1983
we are all ------------------still learning
wes56

Post by wes56 »

whats hapning on the other side of the wall, is it well pointed or painted? your paint looks like oil paint an it should havebeen masonry wash. when the bricksare dry brush off the crystals but it might be a thankless task.
These users thanked the author wes56 for the post:
tomtom1983
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

What is it .. who knows. This https://www.crowntrade.co.uk/product/in ... ng-sealer/ may help but how well it will work over the existing paint when the paint decides to fail - if it does - I have not got a clue. Read carefully the Product Data Sheet from the page above.

:dunno:
These users thanked the author OchAye for the post:
tomtom1983
tomtom1983
Newly registered Member

Post by tomtom1983 »

Barry_Convex wrote:Rising damp pushing the masonry paint off? A garden wall may not have any damp course. Just a first guess...

Im hoping its not rising damp but ive noticed it around the bottom of the exterior wall on the house as well now. Only the first two rows of bricks but its defo there! Oh dear!

Plus yesterday i notcied paint peeling in the kitchen (which is the same walls as the possible rising damp on and as I went to peel it half the kitchen ended up coming off! (Paint wise)! Ahhhhh!!!
Barry_Convex
Newly registered Member

Post by Barry_Convex »

Again, what is on the other side of the wall?
Is it retaining soil?
Is it painted?

Rising damp isn't necessarily a problem as long as the damp is ventilated at a low level - under a suspended floor for example. It certainly isn't a problem on a garden wall as long as it can dry out ie. not covered with a waterproof paint. The paint should be breathable and no modern masonry paints are as breathable as clay or lime based washes - it just depends how much you want to revert to the way the building worked originally.

These users thanked the author Barry_Convex for the post:
tomtom1983
tomtom1983
Newly registered Member

Post by tomtom1983 »

Hi Barry, Thanks for your quick responces!

Ive managed to snap some secret pics of the other side of the wall! (Sorry they are not the best) Doesnt seem as bad as I thought but I know for a fact it isnt looked after!

Its not painted though and ive noticed in the past lots of large weeds/plants attempting to grow there! So big ive pulled them out myself by sticking my hand over the wall.
Attachments
IMG_7799.JPG
IMG_7799.JPG (45.49 KiB) Viewed 4516 times
IMG_7798.JPG
IMG_7798.JPG (45.1 KiB) Viewed 4516 times
IMG_7797.JPG
IMG_7797.JPG (43.55 KiB) Viewed 4518 times
tomtom1983
Newly registered Member

Post by tomtom1983 »

As for my kitchen which also has a similar problem at the bottom of the walls (like the garden wall) here is some pics of that. (Inside and out)

The interior kitchen pics is where the paint was peeling off. (I took it all off yesterday) As you can see its only near the door and then left hand side of the rear window.

Do agree that the house does need to breath, just want it to look nice too!
Attachments
IMG_7806.JPG
IMG_7806.JPG (27.26 KiB) Viewed 4516 times
IMG_7805.JPG
IMG_7805.JPG (25.54 KiB) Viewed 4516 times
IMG_7803.JPG
IMG_7803.JPG (48.35 KiB) Viewed 4516 times
IMG_7802.JPG
IMG_7802.JPG (34.7 KiB) Viewed 4516 times
IMG_7801.JPG
IMG_7801.JPG (38.62 KiB) Viewed 4516 times
IMG_7800.JPG
IMG_7800.JPG (33.38 KiB) Viewed 4516 times
tomtom1983
Newly registered Member

Post by tomtom1983 »

OchAye wrote:What is it .. who knows. This https://www.crowntrade.co.uk/product/in ... ng-sealer/ may help but how well it will work over the existing paint when the paint decides to fail - if it does - I have not got a clue. Read carefully the Product Data Sheet from the page above.

:dunno:
Thanks OchAye, ive been looking at this stuff as well. Was going to slap some on alkl over the garden wall and then I noticed my kitchen wall too. But as the house needs to breath wasnt too sure wether to put some on or not. (The house that is) Ive placed lots of pics of everything (walls kitchen etc) in another reply on this page just in case you want to see! :-)
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

The alcali resisting primer is meant to seal salts/efflorescence your kitchen appears to have a different problem. Perhaps dampness, perhaps the walls painted wrongly and the paint peeled off.
These users thanked the author OchAye for the post:
tomtom1983
tomtom1983
Newly registered Member

Post by tomtom1983 »

So confusing isnt it! \Ive been trying to find a seveyor who gives free quotes but the nearest i found was in the oxford area! Im in Liverpool!

Hopefully the alkili paint stuf will sort the wall at least and im going to leave the kitchen to dry out for a while, then put on some BIN primer before finally some kitchen eggshell paint!

Then knowing my luck the house will fall down! Ha ha!
tomtom1983
Newly registered Member

Post by tomtom1983 »

big-all wrote:haven't got a clue really
but need to know whats on the other side as the points off Efflorescence as in free air or a build up off material holding damp :dunno:

Thanks Big All! Have posted some pictures in this post of the other side of the wall if thats any help!
tomtom1983
Newly registered Member

Post by tomtom1983 »

wes56 wrote:whats hapning on the other side of the wall, is it well pointed or painted? your paint looks like oil paint an it should havebeen masonry wash. when the bricksare dry brush off the crystals but it might be a thankless task.
Cheers Wes56, Ive attached some pics of the wall on the other side to try and show everyone. Hope that helps! The paint I used was a water based Masonary paint, think it may end up being a never ending job!!
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

The other side of the wall shows similar problems to your lower side which is like rising damp pushing out efflorescence. You need to let the wall dry as much as possible, therefore I am not sure if the plastic grass you put on the concrete helps or hinders the drying out bit.

Return to “Damp Proofing and Remedial problems”