Conservatory Electrics DIY Job

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

graham101

Conservatory Electrics DIY Job

Post by graham101 »

Just about to get our conservatory started, which will consist of a 3m x 3m on a dwarf wall.

Now at either side of the current patio door there is a socket; one on the main ring and another on the kitchen ring (put in when kitchen was done). We have a new CU with the usual 32mA trips done when the kitchen was done.

Am I correct that I can do the electrics if I spur of one of the these socket with 13A fuse?

Also what is the best to do with the wiring as the builder is not interested in the electrics. All we want is a couple of double sockets and one wall light with switch.

The internal walls will be plastered as will the outside was that is now in the conservatory to give the feel of a new room.

Just asking for suggested wiring runs and not wanting to use the cavity wall!

Cheers,

Graham.
ericmark

Re: Conservatory Electrics DIY Job

Post by ericmark »

I would look at the grid system, what and how you can extend is dependent on exactly what you already have, if the existing is part of a ring then no problem you can normally either extend ring or have a spur into the extension, an electrician would likely after testing the loop impedance extend the ring, however you likely do not have the ability to test loop impedance so since after a 13A fuse you can have a far bigger loop impedance extending with a fused spur it is extremely unlikely the limits will be exceeded.

The grid system will allow you to fit a socket, a fuse holder, and a switch into the existing double socket back box, I used the LAP grid system from screwfix, the units simply clip into the face plate.
Notch1

Re: Conservatory Electrics DIY Job

Post by Notch1 »

We have found the easiest way to route cables in an orangery or conservatory, is to lay the cables on the concrete oversite around the perimeter.

The cable is run in plastic flexible copex conduit.

Chase oit vertically up to the sockets.

Once electrics are in place, lay celetex insulation and cut a rebate out of the edge. Or fit 2 layers.

Dont do what some electricians do and run the cabkes diagonally across the floor. Pain in the arris when putting down the insulation.
These users thanked the author Notch1 for the post:
graham101
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “Electric Forum UK”