Multi Tools

All tool questions and recommendations or complaints in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

Hitch

Multi Tools

Post by Hitch »

Im thinking of getting a Multi tool. Numerous jobs that will occur on a complete house refurb...scraping, sanding, cutting, flooring...

Ordinarily i'd buy Hitachi gear, but theyre like hens teeth, and a bit spendy.

Want 110v, not cordless.

I see theres a dewalt kit, which looks good value...
https://www.angliatoolcentre.co.uk/dewa ... T_EALw_wcB

Never been a big fan of dewalt gear though...

Are the Fein ones a cut above? Axminster do a basic level multimaster for £98... then buy blades...?

Any thoughts or recomendations...?
[size=100][color=green][b]Why isn't the number 11 pronounced onety one? [/b][/color][/size]
fin

Re: Multi Tools

Post by fin »

ive got a fein multi master. its the older model now but has the quick release. its noisy. like really really noisy. it vibrates like out.

its a 110v btw.

my mate has the dewalt 18v cordless multi tool. in my opinion its miles better than the one i have. infact as and when funds allow i think i will buy myself one of them.
steviejoiner74

Post by steviejoiner74 »

I've just bought a dewalt cordless having previously had a cheap corded one from Argos.
Both do the same job but cordless and quick change blade benefit me over the Argos job(challenge is the brand I think?) However both do the same job.
If you are buying blades then look no further than saxton blades on eBay,next day delivery and really good value for money quality blades.
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

Had the Bosch pmf180 for years (240v) the Bosch GOP is a good bit of kit I have borrowed and used it a few times

Saxon blades are GVFM and outlast the Bosch blades 3 to 1, I didn't think much of the finger sanding kit (usual Velcro problems)

Old blades work well as scrapers, just grind/sharpen the edge to suit
fin

Post by fin »

the standard scraper blades are decent for a lot of jobs.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Not had much experience to be honest although the firm I used to work for used the fein cutters regularly . The plant man rated them with the exception of the switch as that seemed to be the one thing that failed above anything else and he was often having to replace them. The cutters were predominately used by the masons so it's possible the switches dust sealing wasn't as good as it could be ?
Dave54

Post by Dave54 »

The switch not liking masonry dust is a fault with a lot of makes. Seems to me to be anyway. They go "gritty" and then jam.
Hitch

Post by Hitch »

Ordered up a blue Bosh one and a selection of blades. Its a starlock fitting, I gather the 'universal' blades dont fit starlock machines...?
[size=100][color=green][b]Why isn't the number 11 pronounced onety one? [/b][/color][/size]
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

Hitch wrote:Ordered up a blue Bosh one and a selection of blades. Its a starlock fitting, I gather the 'universal' blades dont fit starlock machines...?
That's correct. the Starlock blades are backward compatible with older tools, but pre-Starlock blades (which means ALL of the clone blades, plus blades from Makita, Festool, etc) will not work with the Starlock tools. I really like the newer curved edge Bosch wood blades - cut faster and cleaner as well as seeming to last longer

AFAIK the DW blade system is completely different, although there is an adaptor so that you can utilise clone blades.
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
fin

Post by fin »

my mate is heading down to the dewalt outlet store next week and is gonna pick me up a dewalt 18v multi tool. think if i get on good with it ill ebay my fein mm
Hitch

Post by Hitch »

How did i manage without one of these things :lol:

Makes easy work of chiboard flooring... circ saw around the edges, then run in the multi tool at an angle with a narrow blade to cut off the nail heads, up it comes, piece of cake. Worth the £100 just for that :thumbright:

Return to “Tool Talk”