Victorian Flagstone Floor Problems

This Forum is for all questions relating to Rising damp, Penetrating Damp, Basement Drainage, Cracked Masonry and Wall tie replacement.

Moderator: Moderators

feeney-2009
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Victorian Flagstone Floor Problems

Post by feeney-2009 »

Hello Everyone,

Been a fair old while since I posted anything on here, but I thought I'd throw my dilemma out there and see what comes back.

I've recently bought a 150 year old Vicky terrace in the beautiful South Wales valleys which has been untouched since about 1960. On lifting the carpets and lino through the house I was, at first, happy to see the original flagstone flooring right throughout the property. This happiness was short lived however when it dawned on me that they obviously didn't have any damp proofing underneath them and rely on the floor being exposed so it can "breath" and water can evaporate. The missus is adamant she wants tiles in the (downstairs) bathroom and kitchen and laminate through the main part of the house.

I guess the question is; do I have to take up flags, dig down, install dpm, concrete and screed or is there a miracle product that I can lay over the flags that will accept new flooring without the need for all that upheaval? I have researched the compounds (Mapei, FEB etc) but none seem to state that they can be laid over a non damp proofed flagstone floor.

Would love to hear any ideas or advice anyone could give. Thank you in advance.
wes56

Re: Victorian Flagstone Floor Problems

Post by wes56 »

people doing up houses pay big money for stone flags an you want to cover them up even with no damp signs. you could chek mark all the flag positions and lift them and lay what you want an then put the flags back in the marked positions. messing about with slc and tile adhesives might cause damp conditions.
Rorschach

Re: Victorian Flagstone Floor Problems

Post by Rorschach »

Keep the flagstones! Would add a pretty penny to the asking price if you sell on in the future.

Return to “Damp Proofing and Remedial problems”