Wickes Kitchen integrated dishwasher

Questions about fitting kitchens in here please

Moderator: Moderators

JackDecourcy
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Wickes Kitchen integrated dishwasher

Post by JackDecourcy »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help Im looking to fit a new kitchen and have ordered all the units and fascias from Wickes. Im looking to put in a fully integrated dishwasher however the fascias that Wickes sell are 731mm in height. The average dishwasher requires a fascia of 715-720mm.

How will I overcome this issue of the fascia door being too tall? I contacted Wickes and they told me to cut the door down lol!

Thanks
multiman
BANNED

Re: Wickes Kitchen integrated dishwasher

Post by multiman »

You normally have bit extra space you may be able to use without cutting down.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author multiman for the post:
JackDecourcy
Rating: 7.14%
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Set the top level with the other doors and let it overhang at the bottom.

Be aware that it's not unusual with dishwashers and washing machines which are top openers for the bottom of the door to foul on the plinth.
These users thanked the author ayjay for the post (total 2):
JackDecourcymultiman
Rating: 14.29%
One day it will all be firewood.
fin

Post by fin »

aye ya sometimes have to notch out the plinth so the dishwasher door goes past. not always though.

i fitted a kitchen last year and it had a bosch integrated dish washer. it was most annoying..... the damn thing had a system on it where if the cycle was finished and you pressed on the handle the door would open itself
These users thanked the author fin for the post (total 2):
JackDecourcymultiman
Colour Republic

Post by Colour Republic »

You have a number of options... which vary in cost

The expensive option, which is to buy a dishwasher that is suited for larger doors. Bosch, Siemens and Neff all do versions (not surprising as they are all owned by the same parent company). Essentially these are 'tall' dishwashers that still fit undercounter, but have larger doors on themselves and in addition have a sliding mechanism. This means that as you open the dishwasher the kitchen fascia door slides up slightly and so doesn't foul the dishwasher itself. These dishwashers are normally flagship models and feature packed, so have a price to match. Normally £600+

For example this is a German kitchen that has 780mm high doors with 100mm plinth, so we installed a high end Siemens model with sliding door.
ger12.jpg
ger12.jpg (831.52 KiB) Viewed 8947 times
A cheaper solution is to lower a standard dishwasher so the pivot point of the dishwasher door is lower, then infill the gap between dishwasher and worktop with excess material. In your case you don't need to lower much at all. So simply placing an end panel on it's edge at the top of the space would lower it 18mm. This should be sufficient for almost all UK available dishwashers. You could in fact lower the dishwasher by more than this and could save you from notching the plinth so the door doesn't foul.

A similar example is this. This is an Italian kitchen with 840mm high doors and 60mm plinths. We lowered a standard dishwasher by quite a bit and then installed a blanking panel above it i.e. 2 pieces of end panel fixed together to create an 'L' shaped blanking panel.

Not quite an easy picture to work out, but hopefully you can see by the way the fascia door is fixed much high than the controls of the dishwasher.
2.jpg
2.jpg (100.3 KiB) Viewed 8947 times
Lastly you could go shopping at Ikea. They too have oversized doors and sell appliances to suit. They are branded 'IKea' but are in fact Whirlpool (Or at least they used to be unless they've changed supplier) they sell sliding conversion kits for their dishwashers. Similar in priciple to the Siemens/Neff/Bosch mentioned above, but no where near the quality, I mean it is Ikea after all.

All things told, in your situation, I would go for lowering the dishwasher by 18mm and using an off cut of end panel to plug fill the gap :thumbleft:
These users thanked the author Colour Republic for the post (total 2):
JackDecourcyAvenue
Avenue
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by Avenue »

Colour Republic wrote:A similar example is this. This is an Italian kitchen with 840mm high doors and 60mm plinths. We lowered a standard dishwasher by quite a bit and then installed a blanking panel above it i.e. 2 pieces of end panel fixed together to create an 'L' shaped blanking panel.
That is genius! It's much neater, saves messing around with the kicker board, and the added benefit of creating a more generous airgap above the appliance.

Apologies for resurrecting an oldish thread.

Return to “Kitchen Fitting”